Derby

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Travelling the Gibb River Road

by BryanPulham Online Now Mar 8, 2014 at 5:16 PM

My partner and I (both 65) are looking at our touring options for going from Broome (or Derby) to Kununurra.

I (Bryan) would like to travel the Gibb River Road and even travel back to Derby or Broome via the main highway in order to see Purnululu / Fitzroy Crossing / Geikie Gorge. I don't make a hobby of camping but I have camped "out in the sticks" in the Northern Territory many years ago and I would happily camp again in order to travel the full length of the Gibb River Road.

My partner (Elizabeth) wants to have a bit more comfort at nights but we suspect we can't afford the prices for the private accommodations along the route or pay for one of the "luxury" tours. She would compromise on a camper van but I believe most of them are not suited to travel on that road. We have heard of 4WD campers and a search reveals they are available from Broome.

I would love to hear from anyone who has travelled that route, either: -

camping
      staying at resorts along the way
      budget (camping tour)
      "luxury" tour
      4WD camper

and what they thought of their choice. Would they recommend doing it differently to what they did?

Also, what is the best place to get a useful map of the area? I wouldn't want to take a wrong turn and end up lost; (with Google Maps, for example, I have to zoom in to even make the Gibb River Road show and even then it doesn't show a lot of detail about the "tourist" destinations along the route.

1 Answer Mar 9, 2014 at 12:45 AM