Departamento del Petén Travel Answers

change location
rafgys's Profile Photo

Where to stay ...

by rafgys Online Now Jun 1, 2007 at 9:47 AM

I'm going to the Peten region next weekend and I'm just wondering where it'd be better to stay ...

Most of the people go to Flores / Santa Elena and from there visit Tikal ... but I've read accomodation in Flores is much more expensive than in other places in Guatemala.

So I'm thinking in wether staying in El Remate (which is closer to Tikal and to the border with Belize) ... or perhaps staying at some campground in Tikal.

Has anybody ever stayed at El Remate? How is it? What about the accomodation?

In the other hand... what about camping at Tikal? Is it safe? Are there lockers available? How far from the ruins would this be?

Thanks!

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • Chenbaaxal's Profile Photo

Re: Where to stay ...

by Chenbaaxal Online Now Jun 1, 2007 at 7:10 PM

Unless you plan to read a book at night with a lantern you have brought, Flores is the place to stay the night.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Where to stay ...

by JJDelmonte Online Now Jun 2, 2007 at 7:48 AM

Hey there, FYI, there are excellent hotels and restaurats overlooking the lake in flores at reasonable rates. Go to www.corpetur.com You can always catch a shuttle to Tikal real early in the morning. Good luck.

• rafgys's Profile Photo

by rafgys Online Now Jun 2, 2007 at 8:38 AM

What about the camping questions!? That sounds much more exciting to me ... but I'm not sure about it.

• calcaf38's Profile Photo

by calcaf38 Online Now Jun 2, 2007 at 11:52 AM

Just like Ilona, I had a good experience at Don David's. I have a whole page about El Remate and also one about Flores, so you can tell the difference. Vive la difference, right? Anyway, El Remate is a sleepy backwater and Flores is a charming little town quite geared toward tourists. Santa Elena is a dusty honkytonk sort of fun place.

There are very affordable places to stay, but I know nothing about camping, alas.

• Chenbaaxal's Profile Photo

by Chenbaaxal Online Now Jun 2, 2007 at 7:10 PM

Yes, I was thinking of Tikal, where the electricity goes off and the fans stop working, just when you want them to keep on going.

Jaguar Inn has hammocks already set up for travelers and they cost around7 per night. If you have any doubts about staying the night at Tikal, you can pay a small amount to leave your locked bag there. There is a 3 PM bus to Uaxactun, which is cheaper and if you stay at El Chiclero, the food is better than anything you will find at Tikal.

• roamer61's Profile Photo

by roamer61 Online Now Aug 7, 2007 at 8:16 AM

Is it true the 3 Tikal Hotels dont have electricity at night?

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Departamento del Petén Travel Answer Locations