Departamento del Petén Travel Answers

change location

Where to stay after crossing from Belize?

by JimboYo Online Now Oct 20, 2005 at 12:37 AM

Plan to cross from San Ignacio early morning - is it better to stay at El Remate and visit Tikal next day or go into Flores? Any tips/suggestions on where to stay?

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • metteks's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Where to stay after crossing from Belize?

by metteks Online Now Nov 5, 2005 at 1:37 AM

I stayed in El Remate. Nice place and very local. Not much to do, but enjoy the view of the lake and vulcano and watch the pigs!! at the lakeshore. You can buy nice handcrafted wooden things in a few shops.

I stayed in a hostel called "El mirador del duende" it is a kind of eco-camping place, where you stay in small white "huts" between the trees. They serve vegetarian food and they have a nice roof terrace/lounge where you can enjoy the evenings.

Busses passes El Remate in the morning for Tikal (but not always in time for the sunrise).

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Chenbaaxal's Profile Photo

RE: Where to stay after crossing from Belize?

by Chenbaaxal Online Now Dec 27, 2005 at 5:32 PM

You could both see Tikal on the way AND stay in the very pleasant Flores, which unlike Tikal, has some sort of nightlife. You would get off at the Remate Junction and head north to Tikal, leave your packs at one of the hotels and see the site. Then head to Flores for a pleasant evening. If you stay at Tikal and plan to venture outside your room or campground, be sure to have a good sense of direction and an excellent flashlight.

Or you could just head to Flores and arrange something for the next day, while getting oriented.

On a number of occasions, I have enjoyed the rather ethereal sunset over the lake from Flores. I have stayed at Tikal, but not recently.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Departamento del Petén Travel Answer Locations