change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Flying to Iquitos from Lima

Peru Dec 2, 2014 at 8:41 AM

Hi,
      I've heard that you can get cheaper tickets (return for around €120) at Lima airport.

Can anyone confirm this?

What's the cheapest way to get return flights?
      I need to fly from Lima to Iquitos and back again next week.

Flight prices are looking to be around €216 - €250 return... which I think is a bit expensive.

Cheers! :-)

more
    • Virgin Vacation

Machu Picchu Dec 3, 2014 at 11:11 AM

any VT mbrs heard/used Virgin Vacation to Lima (cusco,etc)?

more
    • ramblercarol's Profile Photo

how to get from Lima airport to hotel

Peru Dec 4, 2014 at 3:42 AM

two quetsions 1) any reccomendation of hotels, small friendly, central to stay in Lima have two nights.
      2) best and safest way to get from airport to hotel ( am female travelling solo)

more
    • Physical requirement

Machu Picchu Dec 16, 2014 at 4:50 PM

How difficult is it to tour this place? I will be joining a 48 hours land tour while in a SA cruise. I have a lower back & minor knee problem. Should I completely avoid this once in a lifetime tour. I do 30 minutes walks every two days but am not sure if my body can handle such a "steep" climb. Any information, recommendation, feedback will be greatly appreciated.I am determined to visit & see this wonder and didn't mind paying a lot for this tour.
      Also, I hear from others that have been there that the high altitude may also pose a problem particularly for those w/some breathing problem..feedback please. Thank you

more

Popular Departamento de San Martín Travel Answer Locations

• tip private driver?

Cuzco Oct 12, 2014 at 7:58 PM

Reading info on hiring private driver to drive you for a day or 2, fr Cuzco to Sacred Valley, etc, do you give tip at the end of the tour/trip? Do these drivers owned the car? If "yes", do you still tip him? Thank you.

4 Answers Nov 1, 2014 at 4:49 PM
    • machu picchu without tour guide?

Cuzco Apr 15, 2014 at 1:05 PM

can someone tell me when is the cut off date to go to machu picchu without a tour guide?
      thanks

7 Answers Apr 17, 2014 at 4:10 AM
    • machu picchu without tour guide?

Cuzco Apr 15, 2014 at 1:05 PM

can someone tell me when is the cut off date to go to machu picchu without a tour guide?
      thanks

• travel to Cuzco Machu picchu from Lima

Cuzco Mar 24, 2014 at 2:44 PM

it will be ok to go to Machu picchu for only three days two nights? Can I purchase the airplanes tickets in Lima?

3 Answers Mar 27, 2014 at 10:38 AM
    • Charter a plane in Machu Picchu???

Cuzco Mar 4, 2014 at 7:11 AM

I'm also interested in renting a plane for 2 people from Machu Picchu to La Paz! How much would that cost me? Around March 28th... Email me... Alan@14sb.com ! Thanks for the input!!

10 Answers Mar 27, 2014 at 10:44 AM
    • is it very turbulent to take off from cuzco airport heading to lima?

Cuzco Feb 10, 2014 at 2:45 PM

I am pretty much afraid of flying. but in case of taking bus through andes, although it must be very beautiful, I prefer to make it shorter, so that's why plane. but please, anyone, is it dangerous to fly over it because of the altitude?
      thanks!

8 Answers Feb 12, 2014 at 2:05 AM
    • stamporama's Profile Photo

Transportation back to Cuzco

Cuzco Jan 23, 2014 at 8:43 PM

I'm currently planning out our trip to Machu Picchu this May and I'd like to know if I'm booked for an afternoon flight from Cuzco to Lima, do you think it's safe to head out from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaybo by train then continue on from there to Cuzco's airport on the very day of my flight? Or are there risks for delays at any step of the way?

Thanks for any replies.

4 Answers Jan 31, 2014 at 3:13 PM
    • Peru Rail question

Cuzco Dec 12, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Do Peru Rail tickets include the entrance fee to Machu Picchu?

2 Answers Dec 12, 2013 at 10:14 PM
    • Pamelita's Profile Photo

Boleto turistico - can you purchase outside of Cuzco?

Cuzco Mar 17, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Hello!

Does anyone know whether the Cuzco tourist pass can be purchased anywhere besides Cuzco? We'll be arriving in Cuzco on Good Friday, which I understand is a national holiday, and I'm concerned we won't be able to purchase one that day.

Ideally I'd like to purchase it in advance, perhaps upon arrival in Lima, but from some preliminary research it appears the only places to buy the pass are the historic sites themselves.

Thanks in advance!

2 Answers Apr 5, 2013 at 1:23 PM
    • KPrasad's Profile Photo

Peru and Bolivia 2 week tour

Cuzco Jan 5, 2013 at 8:32 AM

I am planning a trip to Cuzco, Machu Picchu then onto Salar de Uyuni with a limited budget and 2 week limit.
      I plan to go by train to Machu Picchu due to limited time.
      Any recommendations for length of stay at each destination? Travel between? Good hotels?
      Any help greatly appreciated.

1 Answer Jan 5, 2013 at 12:42 PM
    • Tickled_Pink's Profile Photo

Itinerary and getting from Lima to Cusco, Cusco to Machu Picchu, Cusco to Puno

Cuzco Jan 3, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Hi
      please help with a basic itinerary and assist with most affordable airlines

Travelling through Europe we found it easy to create our own itinerary but wondering if it is much harder and more expensive in south america.

.We have a basic idea on our itinerary however we need help in locating the most economical airlines/buses/train services or companies.

We will have about 10 to 14 days to play with in peru and would like to make our trip as fun and rewarding as possible: Please advise the best tour companies to use and to check if our basic itinerary is good or what changes we can make to use our time and money effectivley:

Itinerary getting from Lima to Cusco, Cusco to Machu Picchu, Cusco to Puno

1) FLy Lima to Cusco
      2) spend 2 or 3 nights in Cusco? (what is recommended)
      3) How do we get from Cusco to Machu Picchu (by train or bus and costs)
      4) Train or bus to Ollantaytambo
      5) Is it sufficient to do only Machu Picchu or is the four day inca trail advisable?
      6)Return Cusco
      7) Travel by bus or train to Puno
      - how many days do you advise we spend in Puno
      8) Either take a 1 or 2 day tour with tour operator (please advise) to Lake titicaca from Puno or if possible how do we do this on our own?
      9)Is the Colca Canyon worth visiting?
      10) Go back to Cusco
      11) fly back to Lima

Thanking you for you assistance in advance.

15 Answers Feb 12, 2013 at 9:17 AM
    • AlanLever69's Profile Photo

Advice wanted on food provisions treking independantly in the region

Cuzco Oct 15, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Hi,
      I am planning a trek independantly to Machu Pichu via the Santa Teresa treking route from Mollepata. I will be camping. Can anyone advise me as to whether i need to take my own food or is there plentyfull options in the lodges along the way ?

Alan

• Cusco portion of the trip - second iteration

Cuzco Feb 14, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Here is what our plan looks like so far. Can you, please, tell me if something could be done better? (4 people)

Day 1 (Apr 5) fly into Cusco around noon. Walk around the city (no tours)

Day 2 Horseback riding tour to ruins around Cusco. Prices online vary widely - from35pp to107. Perhaps it would be possible to find a cheap tour once in Cusco? Back to Cusco around 2pm. Eat, then take a minibus or taxi to Pisac. Night in Pisac.

Day 3. Morning - Pisac market, ruins, then go to see Sacred Valley, end up in Olla, have dinner and take the last train to Agua Caliente, arriving to AC at 22:50. Night in AC. The actual route is not clear yet? Any recommendations?

Day 4. Take the first bus up to MP, first go up to Hyana Picchu (sp?) for sunrise, then walk around the ruins. If guides are available there, take one, Lonely Planet says they charge20. Finish about 12:30, take the bus back to AC and take the train to Olla at 13:30. Arrive to Olla at 3pm, walk around spend the end of a day there.
      There is another option: take 16:30 train from AC to Cusco for the same money.
      Not sure what is better. I am concerned that we finish with MP early and will have nothing to do till train.

Day 5. Full day trekking in Moray and around. Don't really want to pay for a guide but I am concerned that the is no well-defined route and I will not know where exactly to go. Am I right? Should I pay for the guide? Evening in Cusco.

Day 6 (Apr 10). Take bus to Puno. Considering that there are 4 of us and that a tourist bus costs60pp, I would rather rent a car but so far could not find a company where I could return the car in Puno.

Day 7. Evening in Puno. In the morning - tour islands, stay overnight on one in local house. What islands are the best to visit? Can I buy the tour on the spot? Is there a way to do it without tours - some regular "bus" boats, perhaps?

Day 8. Return to Puno, take bus to Arequipa. Night in Arequipa

Day 9. Day in Arequipa. Evening bus or plane to Lima

Day 10 (Apr 14). Day in Lima. Leave home in the very late evening.

6 Answers Feb 29, 2012 at 10:48 AM
    • jimmawan's Profile Photo

Flights to Cuzco from Edinburgh

Cuzco Jan 19, 2012 at 2:40 AM

Myself and partner want to visit Machu Pichu in May.
      We are both in our 60's
      I have lately been a victim of altitude sickness when skiing in France so do not think trekking would be a good thing.... preference transport directly to the site probably from Cuzco.... this sort of rules out organised tour from the UK whereby a lot of time is spent at altitude.
      KLM seem to do a good deal from Edinburgh... any other advice?
      Anyone know a company who arranges trips from Cuzco?

8 Answers Feb 29, 2012 at 11:42 AM
    • swdke's Profile Photo

MORAY - THE SALT MINES – MARAS – CHINCHERO?

Cuzco Jan 6, 2012 at 1:43 PM

I've been emailing a local Cusco tour guide/company, and said that I may have an extra day for our itinerary in Cusco, Sacred Valley, and Machu Picchu, and asked what he would suggest for our extra day?

He stated we could do: MORAY - THE SALT MINES – MARAS – CHINCHERO.

Can someone tell me about Moray, the salt mines, Maras, and Chinchero? Would this be a great way to spend our extra day, yes/no? Why/why not?

Also, to begin such tour, we would start from our hotel either in Ollantaytambo, or Urubamba. But, we need to be at the Cusco Airport in time to catach a 15:30 PM LAN Airlines flight to Lima. Would it be possible to do this tour in a day, and be at the airport in time?

Thank you

2 Answers Jan 7, 2012 at 7:17 PM
    • swdke's Profile Photo

CUSCO-LIMA LAN AIRLINES: Any problems with cancellations - overbooking?

Cuzco Dec 29, 2011 at 9:36 AM

Have booked a LAN flight from CUZ-LIM, departs at 15:30 pm, arrives LIM at 16:50 PM. Travel date is mid-May.

I have read where sometimes the weather may cancel flights, or maybe passengers may have to be bumped due to overbooking.

I am a concerned about this because I am continuing on with a late evening, same day, connecting flight in LIM. It's a United flight to IAH, not even a partner with LAN. My United flight is not till 23:45 PM, so I'd have plenty of time to connect to the UA flight, but I am just concerned about getting to LIM.

Should I be concerned? Do I have to arrive early at CUZ to check in? How early? Thanks for any information.

3 Answers Jan 3, 2012 at 12:19 PM
    • cafetran's Profile Photo

How to enjoy Lima & Cuzco within a week?

Cuzco Aug 27, 2010 at 9:11 AM

It would be my first time in South America and I'm planning a three week excursion around South America with one week in Peru to visit Manchu Pichu.
      Assuming my flight will arrive in Lima, how should I plan my trip to get the max out of the week?

Things I'm wondering:
      1. How do I get to Cuzco from Lima and how long does it? By plane or bus? If by bus, anything along the way I should check it out?

2. How many days I should be in Cuzco if I want to visit Manchu Pichu? What are different ways I can do this to get to most out of this trip.

3. With accommodation options, what would be recommended if I'm working on a budget trip.

4. What are the costs involved with these types of excursions and accommodation on average?

Thank you very much for helping out. This would help alot to see if my trip is feasible.

Cafetran

Cheers,
      cafetran

10 Answers Sep 26, 2010 at 3:54 PM
    • Cusco -> La Paz

Cuzco Jul 18, 2010 at 10:27 AM

Hi,

I'm currently in Cusco and looking to get direct to La Paz. I know you can fly but this is a bit too expensive so I was going to take a bus. You can get direct buses - I think they take about 12 hours but they go overnight (leave at 10pm) and all the books advise against overnight buses. Also, some of the guidebooks report of robberies on this route.

I was wondering if anyone has done this route before or has any knowledge of how safe/dangerous a direct Cusco->La Paz bus is? Any other ideas of how to get there?

Cheers.

4 Answers Aug 16, 2010 at 1:30 PM
    • Accommodation in Cuzco or Sacred Valley

Cuzco Apr 24, 2010 at 2:45 PM

Hi there

I arrive in Cuzco on June 5th and leave on June 9th for Lima. Can anyone help me with the following questions:

1. What accommodation would you recommend that would be appropriate for a single female traveler either in Cuzco or Sacred Valley? My budget is25 per night and I would prefer eco-lodging, if possible.

2. Would I be doing Machu Picchu any justice if I spend just 1 full day there? I plan to take the earliest train out and one of the latest trains back (either to Cuzco or Sacred Valley).

3. Is it fairly safe for a single female traveler to catch a cab by herself around the Cuzco / Sacred Valley / Pisac areas? Or would a bus be better?

Thanks so much!

5 Answers Apr 25, 2010 at 2:17 PM
    • xxsentiaxx's Profile Photo

3 Days in Cuzco

Cuzco Mar 4, 2010 at 11:27 AM

Hello again,

Still trying to piece together our Peru trip and before our Inca Trail Trek we'll be in Cuzco for 3 full days. Does anyone have any ideas on what there is to do to fill our days?

3 Answers Apr 24, 2010 at 10:39 PM
    • what should I do

Cuzco Jan 29, 2010 at 1:47 PM

I am due in cuzco on 10th-15th Feb (tickets booked non refundable) what should I do?

10 Answers Feb 2, 2010 at 4:07 PM
    • Sevsa's Profile Photo

hotels in Cuzco

Cuzco Jan 26, 2010 at 9:47 AM

I'll be in Cuzco during May and I'm looking for any recommendations for places to stay. I'm interested in a room for two people with a private bathroom. Thanks in advance.

2 Answers Feb 7, 2010 at 1:04 PM
    • lima-cuzco

Cuzco Jan 3, 2010 at 9:08 AM

I am traveling to Lima in January and staying for a month. In late February I plan to travel to Cuzco. Would it be best to purchase a plane ticket in advance to get to Cuzco from Lima or is it likely that I will be able to get a flight while in Lima.? Which would be the least expensive option? Also, What clothes are best to pack for Lima Jan-Feb and Cuzco late Feb-March. I plan to go to Machu Picchu but I won't be taking the Inka Trail. Thank you in advance for the advice

7 Answers Jan 5, 2010 at 6:07 PM
    • Aguas Calientes day trips

Cuzco Dec 11, 2009 at 11:55 PM

I am thinking about spending 2-3 days in Aguas Calientes. I want to give myself enough time for Machu Picchu. If I have more time than I need, are there tours departing from Aguas Calientes to see areas/sites beyond there? Places that are worth seeing but because of time and distance would be difficult to get to from Cuzco.

Because of age and health we could not do the hiking, so it would have to be some form of tour. Any suggestions, or is Aguas Calientes the end of the road and we would be better off heading back toward Cuzco after visiting Machu Picchu?

Many Thanks!

7 Answers Dec 28, 2009 at 2:51 PM
    • Quito to Cuzco (Return Trip)

Cuzco Oct 26, 2009 at 5:19 PM

Hi there,

please comment if you have any info on this:

I am traveling in November and December.

Looking to travel Quito To Cuzco. Airlines online are 500$+...

Anyone ever traveled on a charter flight for cheap ? Anyone have connections with travel agents down there ?

Train: Is there a train I can take ? How long is it ? Connections ?

Bus: I heard it takes 2+ days and buses dont show up on time etc.

What is most recommended way of traveling ?

Thanks to everyone that replies.

Alex

5 Answers Mar 4, 2014 at 7:23 AM
    • mayadoc's Profile Photo

Tour operator in Cuzco

Cuzco Oct 17, 2009 at 11:04 PM

I know there are hundreds of travel agencies/tour operators in Cuzco, but...
      Which travel agency in Cuzco do you recommend for the Machu Picchu train tour?
      Thanks!

Sé que hay cientos de agencias de viajes/tour operadores en Cuzco, pero... Qué agencia de viajes recomiendan para el tour en tren a Machu Pichu?
      Muchas gracias!

6 Answers Oct 24, 2009 at 7:39 PM
    • Cuzco, communication tower nearby?

Cuzco Oct 4, 2009 at 3:46 AM

50 years ago my father worked in the Cuzco area on a contract that lasted almost 3 years.
      He was there working on the construction of a huge communication mast (tall tower) that he described as being on top of a mountain.
      Me and the wife will be visiting Cuszco in January 2010 and we are wondering if anybody knows if there is a mast sitting on top of a mountain nearby? It would be nice to see this if it’s still there.
      If there is more than one mast then that would complicate things a bit but 45-50 years ago was when he was there and when it would have been erected.
      Can anybody help with this unusual request?
      Brett

2 Answers Nov 19, 2009 at 5:48 AM
    • Traveling to Cuzco in February 2010

Cuzco Oct 2, 2009 at 7:55 AM

Is it a very bad idea to travel to Cuzco in February based on the weather?? I will be in Lima mid-February and plan to travel to Cuzco with my husband and two young daughters. We've been trying to make this trip for quite some time while in Lima, but something has always has come up. I have been there, but it's time for my husband to visit, he's a history teacher.

6 Answers Oct 5, 2009 at 12:58 PM
    • crazytrekker's Profile Photo

Cusco!!!

Cusco Jul 9, 2009 at 1:57 PM

Any1 coming from Edmonton to Cusco Perù?

1 Answer Jul 9, 2009 at 4:52 PM
    • sakuyaini's Profile Photo

whitewater rafting in June/July

Cuzco Jun 19, 2009 at 12:26 AM

Hello,
      Can anyone tell me if it is advisable to do whitewater rafting in Urubamba during the months of June/July ? I understand that it is the dry season so I'm not sure if there's enough rapids for a whitewater rafting trip...

Thanks...
      Maria

2 Answers Jun 22, 2009 at 2:02 PM