Departamento de Paraguarí Travel Answers

change location

Highest point in Paraguay.

by daggen3 Online Now Feb 3, 2004 at 2:10 PM

Hello! My question is: Who knows for sure what is the highest point in Paraguay? I have read about 3 different places (Cerro San Rafael, Cerro Pero or Cerro Leon). Can anybody tell me, I'll be very thankful.

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • Pangea's Profile Photo

Re: Highest point in Paraguay.

by Pangea Online Now Feb 3, 2004 at 2:37 PM

Hi! Not for sure, but... According with the info that I have Cerro San Rafael is the highest point of Paraguay with 850 meters. Cerro León is 500 meters, but oftenly when this high is writed in ft is 1640. Hope someone can confirm this!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Highest point in Paraguay.

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Feb 4, 2004 at 9:50 AM

These are the facts (found at odci.gov/cia/publications/fa...: lowest point: junction of Rio Paraguay and Rio Parana 46 m highest point: Cerro Pero (Cerro Tres Kandu) 842 m PJ

• Pangea's Profile Photo

by Pangea Online Now Feb 4, 2004 at 12:22 PM

Hello again Wow! this seems to be more complicated that I though in a first moment. I've been checking many pages from Paraguay and the largest number of them said that Cerro San Rafael is the highest point of Paraguay, in spite of, the major number of them seemed to be have been "copy and paste" :) Is the easiest way to work. Oftenly I don't believe in the "facts" given by the CIA :D, but this time they seems to be the most factible. I found an interesting page in spanish from Secretaria Nacional del Turismo (Tourism National Secretary) that seems to be the most seriously, that says Cerro Tres Kandú is the highest point of Paraguay with 842, but Cerro Tres Kandú is a diferent place than Cerro Peró and this one is only 815 meters. Curious is that page says that Cerro San Rafael is only 455 meters. Still searching......

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Feb 4, 2004 at 10:14 PM

In 1997 I bought military maps of the part of the Chaco I went into, Mariscal Estigarribia. It's around 117 meters above sealevel there. I don't know if they have mapped the whole country by now. The stupid thing is, I only have maps of the lower parts of the country. Searching for Paraquay info is always challenging. PJ

• Dorf's Profile Photo

Re: Highest point in Paraguay.

by Dorf Online Now Feb 27, 2004 at 4:22 AM

I found this page on the Internet: bubl.ac.uk/org/tacit/tac/tac... and it tells: "The highest point in Paraguay is steadfastly unnamed, but a bit higher than usually reported. The current (1982) 1:200000 map of Guairá Province from the Paraguayan Military Geographical Institute gives no spot height but shows a loop of 900m contour surrounding the summit, which lies in the euphonious Cordillera de Ybyturuzú. Some tables give the highest point a name - General Eugenio A Garay - but that turns out to be a nearby village." Could somebody confirm this?

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Departamento de Paraguarí Travel Answer Locations