Departamento de Madre de Dios Travel Answers

change location

best macaw clay lick for taking photos? Blanquillo (Manu) or Heath River?

by kira11 Online Now Feb 7, 2008 at 5:23 AM

Hi everyone,

I would like to visit a macaw clay lick (colpa) in Peru this year and I'm wondering which would be the best for taking photos.

I've been to the one at the Tambopata Research Center, but you're only allowed to watch from the banks opposite the clay lick (I guess about 100-120 meters away). So it's too far away to take good photos even with a big tele lens.

I heard that you can get closer at a clay lick often referred to as "Blanquillo" near the Manu Wildlife Center and at a clay lick at the Heath River. They are said to use floating blinds to bring you closer to the lick without desturbing the macaws.

Has anyone here every been to one of these clay licks? How was it with the blinds? Or does anyone know which of these 2 clay licks is better? I'm interested in any information you could give about the clay licks... Thank you very much in advance!

Best regards,
Kiki

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Traveler-1's Profile Photo

Re: best macaw clay lick for taking photos? Blanquillo (Manu) or Heath River?

by Traveler-1 Online Now Feb 25, 2008 at 8:35 AM

Hi Kiki:
    Well Blanquillo is a better option instead of the one at tambopata because you are much closer to the clay lick, at blanquillo they used to have a floating blind but as the river has changed now they have a fixed observatory wich is also close to the river bank (clay lick) how close?...I would say like 30 to 4o meters.
    have fun.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Traveler-1's Profile Photo

Re: best macaw clay lick for taking photos? Blanquillo (Manu) or Heath River?

by Traveler-1 Online Now Feb 25, 2008 at 11:57 AM

hi again:
    I forgot to mention about another Macaw clay lick close to Cusco (2 days away further north from Machu picchu) comparing Blanquillo here you might have more species (scarlet macaws, red and green, blue and yellow)...this plecae will be open from next May, so if you are willing to get more info on this be in touch.

• Re: best macaw clay lick for taking photos? Blanquillo (Manu) or Heath River?

by kira11 Online Now Mar 7, 2008 at 3:40 AM

Thank you very much.

It's very interessting that there will be new claylick. If anyone goes there or has further information, please let me know.

Thanks
    Kiki

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Departamento de Madre de Dios Travel Answer Locations