Travel Answers
Departamento de Loreto

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

Popular Departamento de Loreto Travel Answer Locations

• Finding a good apartment to rent for 1 and a half months / renting a motorcycle for the same period?

Iquitos Jan 16, 2014 at 7:12 AM

I'll be arriving in Iquitos in a couple of days (I'm in Lima at the moment), and I'll be staying there until the end of February. I'd like to rent an apartment (or even a house if it's comparable in price) with at least a kitchenette, so I can cook.

I'd also like to rent a motorcycle for the same period to have the liberty of travel & exploration within the city.

I've been having a very hard time finding places on airbnb and classified sites, so I'd like to ask what the best way would be to find any apartment/motorcycle for rent, and also if you have any recommendations for places in particular please do post/message me.

3 Answers Mar 9, 2014 at 2:53 PM
    • Looking to go from Iquitos to Coca.

Iquitos Nov 16, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Hi there, me and a friend are looking to book a trip from Iquitos to Coca in Ecuador, can anyone suggest some companies that do so or have had experience doing this? Would be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you

Daniel

• Best time to visit Iquitos out of season...

Iquitos Sep 29, 2013 at 8:54 AM

I am planning to visit Peru in 2014 (Iquitos and surroundings) and try ayahusca but i am stil not sure what period would suit me be best considering my philosophy of travelling which could be described by keywords like: out of season/avoiding crowds/lower prices, etc. I would like to go to Peru for about 8-10 weeks and spend them visiting few shamans. What do you think would be the best time to visit Iquitos considering the above? And of course when I mean "out of season"...you know, when I visit for example a Baltic Sea in Europe I do not go there in Winter (also out of season) but shortly before the tourist season starts or shortly after the season, so I can stil can enjoy good weather but also some peace and stillness and all this to lower prices. Does the same apply to Iquitos? I would really appreciate your answer! Cheers!

5 Answers Oct 7, 2013 at 2:00 AM
    • Is going further up Napo River worth the trip?

Iquitos Jun 30, 2013 at 7:04 AM

I am considering of staying at a lodge near Yanamono Island on the main Amazon River or at a lodge off Napo River. Does it really worth the extra travel up Napo River to get further away for experience? Do the lodges up Napo River typically charge a lot more for operating further away from Iquitos? What is your recommendation?

• Stay in Iquitos or go straight to my lodge?

Iquitos Apr 8, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Hello,

I have 4 days in the Amazon. I am wondering if it is worth it to spend a day and a night in Iquitos and then have 3 days at a lodge or is it more worthwhile to go directly to the lodge and spend my short 4 days there?

3 Answers Apr 8, 2013 at 7:57 PM
    • Bad idea to head straight from Lima to Iquitos?

Iquitos Jan 30, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Ok, I'm assuming this is an awful idea, and would almost certainly result in altitude sickness without being able to acclimatize first, but has anyone done it/have any input?

The only reason I'm asking is that I wish to be in Iquitos on particular dates for the festivals there, but am going at such a time that visiting everywhere I want to in southern and central Peru will result in arriving at dates after this.

So, I was wondering in a kind of hectic panic would going straight to Iquitos from Lima be such a bad idea? I've heard from someone (not sure how reliable) that it's not a good idea, but from what I've seen Iquitos isn't at the same altitudes as say Cuzco.

Input on this would be greatly appreciated.

9 Answers Jun 18, 2013 at 10:21 AM
    • roamer61's Profile Photo

The Amazon

Iquitos Jan 16, 2013 at 7:33 AM

How is this part of the Peruvian Amazon vs Puerto Maldonado? Some sources state for Iquitos, you need anti Malarial or Yellow Fever prevention. Though that may be outdated data. I am investigating this for 2014.

1 Answer Apr 23, 2013 at 8:10 AM
    • amyharmony's Profile Photo

Raft Race 2011

Iquitos Jul 16, 2011 at 6:56 AM

Anyone interested in forming a 4 person team for the Iquitos raft race? Sounds like a hoot! http://www.grarr.org/

2 Answers Aug 14, 2011 at 8:10 AM
    • joearena99's Profile Photo

Explorama or Ceiba Tops ???

Iquitos Dec 12, 2010 at 4:54 PM

Hello Hello. My wife and I are in our mid-fifties, and are experienced international travellers. I am finalizing our plans for Peru, and have a question on which lodge to use in Iquitos for the Amazon portion of our trip.

I can't decide between the Explorama, which will really let us experience the Amazon, both day and nite, or the Ceiba Tops, isolated from the Amazon by 4 walls, but complete with air conditioning.

Can anyone tell me how it is possible to sleep in 95% humidity, 95 degree temperatures of the Explorama ?? My wife and I are not fussy travellers. We've slept in a tent in the Sahara and rustic accomodations in Northern Thailand. We're not looking for a ritzy place. I am just curious if the air conditioned room is worth the separation from the Amazon?

Also, while I'm at it - I may be 53 years old, but (like many of you men out there), I'm a kid at heart. I'm looking forward to the experience meeting the Yagua tribe. I've read that it is possible to barter or purchase blow guns from the folks in the tribes? Has anyone done this? If bartered - what did you barter? If purchased, what was the cost? Finally, was there any problems bringing the blow gun onto your home-bound plane?

Thanx for all of your input !!

joearena99@hotmail.com

4 Answers Dec 13, 2010 at 3:20 AM
    • Vaccination

Iquitos Dec 1, 2010 at 6:20 AM

We are going to Amazon River (on Iquitos side) and Manchu Picchu in May next year. Do we need to take any vaccination? Will there be much mosquitos or insect bites? My husband is very allergic to those bites.

9 Answers Dec 3, 2010 at 2:01 AM
    • fishtaco's Profile Photo

mv aqua

Iquitos Aug 19, 2010 at 1:06 PM

we are going to do a cruise on the MV Aqua in June 2011. Can you book direct or do you have to go through a travel agent...has anyone been on this???

2 Answers Aug 19, 2010 at 10:14 PM
    • Iquitos or Manaus

Iquitos May 5, 2010 at 3:28 AM

We will go to Amazon River in April 2011 and spend about 3 days there. We like to see the scenery and the wildlife in/along the river. We are not sure whether we should choose Iquitos, Peru or Manaus, Brazil. Can any VT members advise us on the difference in cost, crowdness and things to be seen? All advice is appreciated in advance.

13 Answers Mar 9, 2011 at 10:20 AM
    • nevdelap's Profile Photo

Anyone going to Iquitos in the next week...?

Iquitos Jul 5, 2009 at 7:26 PM

Hi there! I'm heading to Iquitos in the next few days and I'm wondering if anyone wants to meet up to travel together, or just to hang out? Right now I'm in Arequipa, and either tomorrow or Tuesday I'll get a bus to Lima, and then hopefully the day after I arrive I'll get a flight to Iquitos. I'm a 36 year old Australian guy, have been in Latin America for two years, and will spend I don't know how much time in and around Iquitos (depends on how much I like it!) before heading down river into Brazil for the next six months. Let me know if our plans match up at all.
      Cheers, Nev

3 Answers Jul 26, 2009 at 11:33 PM
    • Texas_Phil's Profile Photo

Iquitos in June

Iquitos Mar 16, 2009 at 3:07 PM

Will anyone be in Iquitos in June? I am planning to be there for at least a week sometime between June 11-26. I've went 5-6 times from 2005-2006, but it's been almost 2½ years since my last visit and I am REALLY excited.

My tentative plans are to visit a jungle lodge for 3-4 days (probably Explorama since it was great on my first visit back in May, 2005) and maybe a couple of days in a small village outside of the city or down the river. (Depends on how adventurous I want to get!)

I know the city pretty well and would love to share some of this with anyone who'd like to tag along -- assuming you can stand my great enthusiasm for the place. I'm a high school teacher and plan to hit most of the tourist spots near the city -- Quistococha, Belen, the Butterfly Farm, etc. -- to take videos with my HD camera to show my students. Besides visiting friends, that's the main reason why I'm going.

If anyone wants to meet up and see some sights, I'd be glad to show them around. I am quite comfortable traveling like a local. I'm not looking to be a paid tour guide -- heck, I'll pay for the transportation if we go very far (like Quistococha) -- but since I'll be there for awhile, it would be nice to make some new friends to hang out with.

I absolutely love the city (except for the weather!) and can't wait to be there.

Phil

2 Answers May 8, 2010 at 3:24 AM
    • Iquitos - Manaus - Belem

Iquitos Oct 23, 2008 at 5:31 PM

Hello
      I wonder if someone could give me a quick advise how long it takes to travel from Iquitos to Manaus or from Yurimaguas to Manaus. I have time from the 27th of october to the 9th of November when i have to be able to fly back from Lima to Amsterdam.
      Very thankful for anyfeedback.
      Regards
      Carlos

1 Answer Oct 23, 2008 at 7:51 PM
    • waltinsocal's Profile Photo

Iquitos to Leticia

Iquitos Aug 9, 2008 at 1:26 PM

I will be in Iquitos in late September and wish to take the "fast boat" to Leticia. Does anyone have really current info on which days of the week this boat might run, and how much it costs, and what time of the day it leaves? (I say "fast boat" because there is also a slower boat that take a lot longer than the 9 or so hours that the "fast boat" takes.) Thanks !!

1 Answer Aug 25, 2009 at 4:44 AM
    • Where to see the Amazonas Rainforest?

Iquitos May 17, 2008 at 7:07 AM

Hi,

I am currenlty beginning to plan my trip to South America and one of my big high lights is to go to see the rainforest in the amazon basin.
      So far I have come across two main places to do several day trip in - Iquitos, Peru and Manaus, Brazil.

Could someone please advise me if there are any difference in what you get to see and do there? And what are the best ways to get there? Or are there other places as well?

Thanks a million.
      Ulli

11 Answers Sep 28, 2008 at 11:05 AM
    • Tania7340's Profile Photo

Yellow Fever threat in Iquitos

Iquitos Apr 22, 2008 at 5:07 PM

Hi All,

Thank you for all your advice on my previous question. Im in a bit of a dilemna now as I just found out that by getting my yellow fever vaccine tomorrow, by the time I arrive Im short of the 10 day wait and will be in Iquitos for 2-3 days without coverage. The doctor was very alarmed and said it would be a big mistake to not change my ticket and go later because of the 50% chance of death if it is contracted. But my ticket is v expensive to change so Im wondering if anyone knows what the risks are at the moment and whether I should just go anyway?

Thanks a tonne

9 Answers Apr 25, 2008 at 3:39 PM
    • Tania7340's Profile Photo

Travelling alone

Iquitos Apr 8, 2008 at 2:21 AM

Hi there,

Im planning on Ttravelling in May, landing in Lima and travelling up to Iquutos to experience the Amazon and do a boat trip.

Do you think its safe for a woman travelling on her own and apart from flying, what is the best way to travel to Iquitos from Lima?

Thanks a lot

13 Answers Sep 19, 2008 at 2:24 PM
    • waltinsocal's Profile Photo

Piranha fishing

Iquitos Feb 16, 2008 at 8:35 AM

I am going to Iquitos in September and am especially interested in piranha fishing. Does anyone know of a good tour that does such a thing, and how far from Iquitos one must travel to do this in terms of time. Thank you.

9 Answers Aug 5, 2008 at 11:56 AM
    • Iquitos and surroundings

Iquitos Jun 24, 2007 at 2:54 AM

Hi,

I want to travel to Iquitos in beginning of dezember for around 10 days.
      What things I should do in and around Iquitos?
      Where is the best place to stay for not to much money?
      Also I would like to travel to Leticia and Tabatinga. What I have to be aware off
      or what I should think off before doing that?
      Where to stay in Tabatinga/Leticia?
      Many thanks in advance!

Frank

2 Answers Jun 24, 2007 at 4:42 PM
    • Iquitos--lots of questions, please help!!

Departamento de Loreto Apr 27, 2007 at 12:07 PM

I am 45 and taking my teen daughter to Peru this summer (2007). What a shock it will be for her, she is used to going on cruise ships! We will be doing the Explorama Lodge for 6 nights and then I want to surprise her with a trip to Macchu Picchu with a couple days in Lima.

I am trying to finalize plans and I have so many questions.

1) Is it better to purchase our round-trip airfare from LIMA to IQT online, at the LAN airways site, or should I wait until I get into Peru because it will be considerably less expensive? Will there be seats on the airplane available or is it like in the US where everything is always overcrowded and sold out, reservations are a must?

2) Is it true that we should wear light colored clothing to keep the mosquitos away? Daughter has a terrible time with mosquitos, she attracts them like a dead horse attracts flies.

3) I have leftover Malarone from my trip to Africa but I think I should get doxycyline for daughter, I have read that is helps with other things (such as becoming ill from bacterial infection, etc.) and she'll take probiotics afterwards to help her system recover. Is this the best thing for malaria?

4) Where can I find more information about the boat service from Iquitos (really from Tatapalanga or something like that) to Manaus? How do I make reservations? I understand it is a slow journey but do we have a cabin onboard...yeah yeah, I know it won't be a cruise ship! No a/c, etc.

5) Does anyoen have a local web site or e-mail address so I can contact someone for more information? There is very little information available.

3 Answers Apr 30, 2007 at 4:45 PM
    • Iquitos Tour

Iquitos Apr 25, 2007 at 8:36 PM

Hi, Everyone,

I have read in another forum that It is OK to arrive in Iquitos and arrange a tour right then and there because lodge representatives are present at the aiport. Is this true? I will be travelling in July and don't have any time to waste. If I fly into Iquitos early in the morning, can I still start the tour that same day?

Thank you for taking the time to advice me on this.

2 Answers May 3, 2007 at 6:20 PM
    • Jungle lodges: book in advance?

Iquitos Mar 8, 2007 at 12:04 PM

I'm headed down to Iquitos for the first week in June, and want to spend about three days in the jungle. Should I book a place in advance, online, or would I get a better deal just going to the city and booking something there? I just don't want to get there and find they're all booked or charge more on short notice.

And any recommendations for the best places on the less expensive end?

Very grateful for any help.

Sam

2 Answers Mar 15, 2007 at 1:01 AM
    • Texas_Phil's Profile Photo

Anyone traveling to Iquitos Dec. 23-31?

Iquitos Nov 18, 2006 at 11:27 AM

I'll be down there with my fiance (who lives there) and love meeting other visitors. I've spent a lot of time down there and love to help out newcomers. It's also nice to be able to speak English a little when I'm there since most of the time I'm speaking Spanish. It's a wonderful, frontier jungle city, but this is likely my last trip for awhile since my fiance's visa to come to the US was recently approved.

3 Answers Feb 26, 2007 at 8:50 AM
    • the___gecko's Profile Photo

Ayahuasca

Iquitos Nov 6, 2006 at 7:09 PM

Im travelling through South America next year and high on my priorties list is a extensive tour of the rainforest. One of the higher priorites in touring the rainforest is to find a indigenous Indian tribe who offer Ayahuasca ceremonies as part of your visit. Its definately not your usual tourist request but if anyone has had this experience or know of where to go and who to speak to in order to enjoy this deeply spiritual experience it would be much appreciated to know. Cheers.

3 Answers May 3, 2007 at 7:58 PM
    • ANYONE TRAVELING NOVEMBER 9th/10th 2006???

Iquitos Oct 14, 2006 at 7:43 PM

I'll be heading to Iquitos Nov. 9 or 10, from Lima, staying about a week, and then taking a boat as far west as I can and bussing it to Piura/Mancora. I'm 28, male, solo...any advice helpful too.

Thanks Much.

1 Answer Oct 16, 2006 at 3:19 PM
    • How to get from Iquitos to Quito

Iquitos Sep 20, 2006 at 10:47 PM

Hi, I was wondering what the easiest way would be to get from Iquitos to Quito. Is there a flight, or some other form of transportation?

Thanks

2 Answers Aug 8, 2007 at 3:09 AM
    • a boat from ecuador to iquitos?

Iquitos Sep 5, 2006 at 1:58 PM

i am in ecuador right now and would like to go to iquitos then from iquitos to brazil, i heard that there are boats, but anyone know the routing and in which town to catch the boat? thanks

1 Answer Nov 6, 2006 at 6:47 PM
    • eclectricity's Profile Photo

anyone there from 8/11-8/20?

Iquitos Aug 4, 2006 at 9:20 AM

i'm gonna be in town and was hoping to explore the pacaya-samiria reserve, am looking for other travellers who may be doing the same or something else interesting