Travel Answers
Departamento de Chimaltenango

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Backpacking during the rainy season (3 - 4 weeks in August)

Guatemala Yesterday

Hey all

I am hoping to go to Guatemala for 3 - 4 weeks in August, which I realize lands right in the middle of rainy season. I was wondering if I should be concerned about going to guatemala during this time? Given the circumstances with work and school, this is the only month I can really go, as I will finishing work in July and beginning school in September. I really want to take a trip like this, but my locations and time frames are limited. From what I've gathered, the weather will still be nice, but when it DOES rain, it will dump, and it will rain a decent amount; but I have also heard that this makes the area look very green!

As I this is my first backpacking trip, and I will be doing it solo, I'm hoping to stick to hostel tours and expeditions for the first while. Will there still be a large back packing community there during this time?

Just an idea on where I was hoping to go: Antigua, Florence, Tikal, Semuc Champey, Lake Atitlan, and essentially any other place that pops up along the way. I was also thinking of spending a week in Utila, but that is a secondary goal.

Any advice on this or the region in general is appreciated!

more

Popular Departamento de Chimaltenango Travel Answer Locations

• Teen Safety

Tecpán Guatemala Apr 12, 2012 at 7:55 AM

My 15 yr old daughter wants to participate in a volunteer program in Tecpan this summer. She would fly into Guatemala City airport and be picked up direct by the volunteer organization and driven to Tecpan. Can anyone please advise me regarding any safety or violence issues that I should be aware of in deciding as to whether or not to allow her to participate? Most appreciated.

1 Answer May 4, 2012 at 2:20 PM
    • Hotel in Tecpán

Tecpán Guatemala Apr 10, 2008 at 1:29 PM

Hi -

I'm leading a group of college students working with Habitat for Humanity in May, and we're staying in La Villa de Don Pancho in Tecpán. Does anyone have first-hand knowledge of this hotel?

Thanks!

Fred

3 Answers Oct 3, 2008 at 2:53 AM
    • How do I contact the Katok restaurants in the Tecpan Guatemala area?

Tecpán Guatemala Jan 5, 2007 at 11:01 AM

Anyone have any idea how I can contact the Katok and Katok II restaurants? (I'm assuming these are the restaurants on the main highway just before the turnoff to climb to Panajacel?)

1 Answer Jan 5, 2007 at 4:55 PM