Denver Travel Answers

change location
Oneill2905's Profile Photo

Denver Start of Trip

by Oneill2905 Online Now Dec 30, 2012 at 3:54 AM

Hi

Me and my Husband will be spending a few days in Denver flying in from the UK at the end of July. We only have 2 nights in Denver so would would be very grateful to hear of any recommendations on things to see before heading off to Lusk. We will be returning to Denver at the end of the trip to spend a few days in the Rocky Mountain NP.

Also, interested in what the weather will be like that time of year?

Thanks

Kirsty

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • bocmaxima's Profile Photo

Re: Denver Start of Trip

by bocmaxima Online Now Dec 30, 2012 at 9:16 AM

The weather can be relatively hot in the lower elevations in late July. Denver can see highs just below 40C. Anything west of Denver will generally be cooler though because it's higher elevation. The upper mountains are wonderful though. They do get afternoon rain showers occasionally in the mountains during the summer that can be fairly dangerous because of lightning.

In Denver, consider touring the US Mint. For July, you may need to reserve this now. It fills up very quickly. The Botanical Gardens are also very nice, and I like their zoo. If you like beer at all, there are some excellent breweries with tap rooms right around the Downtown area: Great Divide, Breckenridge, Wynkoop and Denver Beer Company, just to name a few. There are a number of others in the city that you can drive to.

I would also try to block out a full day for Boulder. Really great city and late July is a wonderful time to be there. My last trip, I rented a bike through these guys: http://boulder.bcycle.com/. It was something like6 per day and you could keep the bike for up to 30 minutes without being charged for extra time, as there are bike docking stations all over the city. Boulder is one of the top biking cities in the country, and it tends to be easier to bike and walk around than drive, as parking is not always very easy, particularly in the Pearl Street Mall area and other popular areas.

For RMNP, unless you plan on some serious hiking, I think two full days would be enough there. I would also suggest you stay in Estes Park. Last time up there (this past summer), I stayed near Grand Lake. The west side of the park isn't really as interesting, but I had a particular hike that I wanted to do. The lodging and food options are also much better in Estes Park.

Hope that helps.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • apuleuis's Profile Photo

Re: Denver Start of Trip

by apuleuis Online Now Apr 1, 2013 at 5:25 AM

I spent a few days there last summer, the Mint was booked so I wasn't able to see that, but I wish I could have. We went to the Coors Brewery tour, Hammonds Candy tour and spent time downtown just shopping and seeing the sights. We took all public transportation or walked. We went in June and it was really hot in town, much better in the mountains.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines