Denver Travel Answers

change location
tracyskf's Profile Photo

Ski trip in Dec

by tracyskf Online Now Aug 27, 2011 at 2:40 PM

Hi, I am planning for a short visit to Denver in Dec. Thinking of doing a ski trip - any good recommendations on ski resort? How much budget should I set aside as I think it should be peak in Dec?

Might be a silly question - if we do not stay in a ski resort, will we be able to use ski facilities (perhaps a day trip). If yes, any good recommendation on an affordable hotel with a scenic view?

Thanks!

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • bocmaxima's Profile Photo

Re: Ski trip in Dec

by bocmaxima Online Now Aug 28, 2011 at 7:42 AM

There are a number of places just outside Denver, maybe an hour's drive away from the city. But there are ski areas and ski resorts, and it looks like you're just looking for a ski area. The difference is that ski areas aren't attached to hotels. If you're looking for a ski resort, Breckenridge is a good one, and that's maybe 2 hours from the city.

Otherwise, I found this on Google and it seems relatively comprehensive: rockies.com/maps/colorado-ma...

Yes, you can get a daily lift pass from pretty much any ski resort. You can book many of them in advance online.

For a hotel, you have to realize that while the Rockies are in its backyard, Denver is fairly flat. It's a nice city and is a nice place to stay but, if you plan on spending two full days skiing, it would be best to stay closer to the ski areas. During the ski season, there really aren't any "affordable" hotels near the resorts.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines