Denmark Travel Answers

change location

waterproof jackets

by denmark2012 Online Now Mar 27, 2012 at 10:23 PM

hi, i am excited and waiting for my first trip to Denmark (Aarhus and CPH). Can someone please tell me if it normally rains in the month of May (my trip in May 2012). I read that it is usual practice to carry a light weight rain coat always with you, do i need to buy any wind breakers? Or approximately what could be the temprature there? thanks alot to all here

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: waterproof jackets

by leics Online Now Mar 27, 2012 at 11:25 PM

I haven't been to Denmark so will leave it to others to advise in depth. No-one can foretell the weather so far in advance but you can get a rough idea of what to expect from climate averages such as:

http://www.climatetemp.info/denmark/

wordtravels.com/Cities/Denma...

holidaycheck.com/climate-wet...

Carrying a light waterproof is very sensible in all northern European countries, throughout the year, although it's also a good idea to check the weather forecast for each day. You can find online weather forecasts for your locations easily...just google e.g. 'aarhus weather forecast'.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'wind-breaker'? Light waterproofs stop wind as well as water.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Kathrin_E's Profile Photo

by Kathrin_E Online Now Mar 28, 2012 at 12:13 AM

The answer is very easy: anywhere in Europe North of the Alps you need a wind- and rainproof jacket any time of the year.

• adelinemmc's Profile Photo

by adelinemmc Online Now Mar 28, 2012 at 3:54 AM

I beg to differ with Fugu. I go to Denmark quite often and always take a light waterproof/windproof jacket. I definitively would in May.
    If the weather is nice, you can use the jacket in the evening when it gets a bit chilly/windy. If the weather is crap, you can choose the thickness of your jumper and use the light jacket on top.
    Temp is impossible to say. I have been there in April/May and it was baking in the sun (but cools quicly at sunset) and sometimes it's really chilly & windy.

A

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 28, 2012 at 10:13 AM

The poster is from Asia. So I would definitely recommend a wind/water-resistant jacket when visiting anywhere in northern Europe in May. And clothes which can be layered.

It's important to note that European 'rain' is not the same as 'the rains'. When we have 'rain' we do not usually mean day-long downpours. Rain *can* be heavy and quite long-lasting but, much more commonly, it is heavy or light showers each lasting perhaps a couple of hours or less. Or very light 'drizzle' which, although not formed of large rain drops, nevertheless gets you pretty wet pretty quickly.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Denmark Travel Answer Locations