Denmark Travel Answers

change location
heathergvn's Profile Photo

Denmark in November, places to visit in Langeland and Jutland

by heathergvn Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 9:28 PM

My husband and I are travelling to Denmark from Amsterdam by train in November. At this stage we are thinking about getting off the train at Odense, hiring a car and just driving stopping as we feel for 5 days. Possibly down to Langeland then Jutland finishing in Aarhus before we have 4 days in Copenhagen. Can anyone recommend anywhere in particular to visit or stay?

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • angiebabe's Profile Photo

Re: Denmark in November, places to visit in Langeland and Jutland

by angiebabe Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Hi, Id recommend staying at Roskilde a few kms south of Copenhagen. Easy to get to using the motorway f you still have your car - easy also by train. and a lot cheaper for accommodation. I stayed at the youth hostel which is excellent quality..u can have your own room with ensuite and brilliant breakfast provided. Historic town too with the cathedral being the burial place of the Danish royalty and an excellent viking museum. By the harbour theres a very cute village of thatched roof cottages and the town itself had lots of good shopping. you can catch a concert if you are lucky with timing in the afternoons in the cathedral

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • cachaseiro's Profile Photo

by cachaseiro Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 3:45 AM

If you are planning to drive to Langeland then you should stop at the castle called "Egeskov" on the way down there.
    It's one of the prettiest castles in northern Europe and well worth a visit.

You will be passing through Svendborg on the way to Langeland aswell and that is one of the nicer towns in Denmark if you ask me so you should make a stop there too.

• HansDK's Profile Photo

by HansDK Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 6:12 AM

Egeskov is closed in November - except for Christmas market 9-10 & 16-17 November, and so will most things be on Langeland.

1 member found this helpful

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo

by cachaseiro Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Holy crap.
    I didn't see first that you were going in November.
    In that case i really think you should stick to the bigger towns as the countryside is almost shut down that time of year.
    Svendborg and Odense will still be ok but Langeland will be real dead in november and staying overnight there will most likely bore you.

• Re: Denmark in November, places to visit in Langeland and Jutland

by micolett Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 8:56 AM

If you are interested in recent history, the Cold War Museum on Langeland is a good place to visit: bunkers, listening posts and various military installations, aircrafts, and....even a submarine "stranded" in the middle of the fields

• TheTravellingDane's Profile Photo

by TheTravellingDane Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 6:20 AM

In november the weather in Denmark is not at its best, so as one of the other answers say, you should maybe stick mostly to the towns. I will say that Funne has lovely landscapes and they can be pretty in mist and rain too though, so don't miss a car trip round the island - you can get most of it in a day or you can do one day here and one day there for instance visiting some of the towns. Odense has a lot of cultural things to offer , not least being the home town of Hans Christian Andersen, but there are other tihings to see too. Roskilde as mentioned in one of the answers is easy to reach from Odense and has a lot to offer too. The town itself is nice and there's a big and fantastic viking museum there.
    You can also go the other way towards Jutland and visit for instance Kolding that has an old castle and a very well renowned arts museum. Vejle is a nice town at the fjord with very scenic roads and landscapes around it, steep roads and streets that lead to it and a nice city centre with all kind of opportunities for shopping, eating or just walking up and down the main pedestrian street.

Hope this is some help for you. Fell free to ask for more.

1 member found this helpful

• heathergvn's Profile Photo

by heathergvn Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Thank you for the dates of the Christmas market we plan to arrive on the 10/11/13 so we're thinking of stopping in Odense for a couple of days hire a car. Our first trip will be the market so we can see the castle and maybe some shopping. Would have missed this with out your info!

• heathergvn's Profile Photo

by heathergvn Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Thank you all great ideas, yes it's a shame we're not coming a little earlier in the year but we're still hoping to see some great countryside very different to Australia I'm sure and meet many friendly Danes. My grandfather was from Denmark so it will be interesting to see where he was from.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Denmark Travel Answer Locations