Denali National Park and Preserve Travel Answers

change location

Alaska Rail baggage

by irispatch Online Now Jun 20, 2009 at 10:23 AM

My husband and I will be traveling from Fairbanks to Denali, Denali to Anchorage and Anchorage to Seward. We were wondering about the carry on restrictions. The AK RR web site says that they only allow a carry on the size of a small briefcase. Does anyone one know how stringent they are? We have camera gear that cannot be put in checked baggage so we are trying to figure the best way to carry it all on and still stay within the restricted carry on size. Can someone give us some tips? We have two DSLR camera bodies and several medium to medium large lenses that we are taking. We can take our shoulder bags for a body and one lens and a vest for the rest will that work or will we be told we can't take our cameras on board?

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • RickinDutch's Profile Photo

Re: Alaska Rail baggage

by RickinDutch Online Now Jun 23, 2009 at 3:34 PM

I've been on a few trains in Alaska and never even knew that was a restriction to hand carry. I wouldn't worry too much, I don't think it enforced much. We usually have several day packs and a bag of groceries. Once we had full back packs for a remote drop off.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • onebadcat's Profile Photo

Re: Alaska Rail baggage

by onebadcat Online Now Jun 25, 2009 at 9:16 AM

Second that. The railroad is hurting this year and they wouldn't have a leg to stand on arguing that you couldn't carry on camera gear. If you checked all that expensive gear and they damaged something it would cause bigger problems. We have ridden the train several times and have always had daypack sized backpacks as well as food bags. I wouldn't worry about it.

Scott

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Denali National Park and Preserve