Denali National Park and Preserve Travel Answers

change location
karen_mo's Profile Photo

Wonder Lake

by karen_mo Online Now Jan 21, 2008 at 4:02 AM

Hi there,

Planning to spend 2-3 nights at this campground. Is it worth bussing to this site rather than staying at the entrance? is it possible to get away from crowds here or is it still bustling with bus tours?

Any other tips?

Many thanks, Karen

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • worldtrekker's Profile Photo

Re: Wonder Lake

by worldtrekker Online Now Jan 21, 2008 at 2:54 PM

Wonder Lake is a worthwhile place to camp, especially if Mt Denali is visible. Just to warn you though, I was there in June and the mosquitos were horrendous. We didn't see much wildlife there other than a loon and this could be because of the plague of mosquitos. Later in the summer, the mosquitos become less, and therefore more tolerable. We spent one night there. If you do go this time of year, I suggest you bring some sort of fly net to put over your head. I was offered good money to give mine up, but I kept it.
    Most people don't take the bus trip in as far as Wonder Lake, so crowds will be less. But keep in mind that there are only a certain number of bus trips into the park each day, so it is not all that bad.
    If you are adventureous, you could also get a permit to camp in the backcountry. Spaces are limited, so this would really get you away from the crowds. Definately do your research if you decide to go into the backcountry. You could start at Wonder Lake and then camp the other 2 nights in the backcountry. You just need to organize everything at the visitor center before you head into the park. I have camped at Savage River a number of times and had some good wildlife sightings in that area. It is about 11 miles into the park. It is also the first campground where you can get a view of Mt Denali if it is visible.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • MTrav's Profile Photo

Re: Wonder Lake

by MTrav Online Now Jan 24, 2008 at 5:27 AM

I think it would be worth your time if you can afford to stay 2 or 3 day. It is a long bus ride, but you should see some wildlife along the way. A clear view of Denali is not that common but over the span of a few days your chances will be much better.

Ive been there but didnt camp. Some friends spent 2 nights and they enjoyed it except for the mosquitoes which were very bad.

The park entrance is being built up and gradually turning into another Yellowstone or Yosemite. Wonder Lake will be a totally different experience.

I recommend doing some hiking along the way. You can also get a backcountry permit and enjoy an enormous chunk of land to yourself.

Hope that helps

Mike

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Denali National Park and Preserve