Denali National Park and Preserve Travel Answers

change location

Cruise wilderness tour or not?

by Lisbethcro Online Now May 29, 2006 at 7:40 PM

We are traveling on a Princess Cruise-tour with their Tundra Wilderness Tour included. I understand I can get99.00 credited back to me if I don't go on this tour. I am considering doing the tour with the National Park service instead. Does anyone know the differnce and how much father does the Park service one go? Any advice is welcome!

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • karenincalifornia's Profile Photo

RE: Cruise wilderness tour or not?

by karenincalifornia Online Now May 29, 2006 at 8:15 PM

I wouldn't cancel the tour if I were you. If you are already traveling with Princess and staying at their hotel, you'll have the convenience of having them pick you up at the hotel. If you are going during peak season (May to September), the Princess tour actually goes 10 miles further into the park than the National Park Tour (mile 63 as opposed to mile 53). The Denali NPS tour costs less -80 - but all things considered, I'm not sure the19 savings is worth it, unless you have several people in your party.

I'm sure both tours will be equally informative. We did neither - we went all the way into Kantishna on the Denali Backcountry Lodge bus because we were staying at the Backcountry Lodge. I did note one thing, and that was that it looked to me like the Princess buses were a bit more comfortable looking than the Denali National Park buses.

Regardless of the tour you choose, you will enjoy it. Denali is beautiful.

Karen

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • karenincalifornia's Profile Photo

RE: Cruise wilderness tour or not?

by karenincalifornia Online Now May 29, 2006 at 8:26 PM

Go to this link for more information:

nps.gov/dena/home/visitorinf...

I just noticed that the80 I quoted you does not include a10 entrance fee that you also have to pay. So, you would save only9 on the NPS tour, won't go as far as Princess, and probably won't have as comfortable buses. I'd definitely stick with your Princess bus tour.

Karen

• RE: RE: Cruise wilderness tour or not?

by Lisbethcro Online Now Jun 5, 2006 at 5:36 AM

Thanks so much, I thought I had read somewhere in a forum that the Princess one didn't travel very far into the park, Thanks for you help, I will leave it alone!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Denali National Park and Preserve