Denali National Park and Preserve Travel Answers

change location
a96m97's Profile Photo

Teklanika campground

by a96m97 Online Now Apr 19, 2006 at 3:37 AM

I will be visiting Denali National Park with my family in August by RV.
I booked 3 nights at Teklanika Campground inside the park and the shuttle bus.
I have recently read that private vehicles are allowed to drive into the park on first day and out on the last day.
I have also read that you can change/cancel your reservation up to 7 days prior arrival.
So I am wondering what would happen if something unexpected (road accident, engine problem ...) prevents us to reach the park on the first booked day.
Am I going to lose everything? May I get in one day later?
How is the private vehicles traffic checked inside the park? Are there rangers at the campgrounds?
Many thanks for any help you can give me!

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • aloha088's Profile Photo

RE: Teklanika campground

by aloha088 Online Now Apr 19, 2006 at 2:25 PM

Hello. If ever you are not able to meet a reservation, no matter where, I would contact the campground, hotel, or what ever, and explain your situation. They will tell you what to do, acourding to the given situation. From what I know you are just allowed to drive with a private vehicle to the first campgournd in the Denali NP, after this is a gate. You can only continue deeper into the park by tourbus, witch is absolutely recommended, because from the first campground you don't see anything of the park. You can do a half or oneday tour, or even stay over night in the park. There are Luxury and basic Lodges or if you carry your own camping gear you can do backcountry camping within the park. This needs to be arranged at the Visitor Centre at the parks entrance.
    Let me know if you have further questions.
    Jacqueline

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Denali National Park and Preserve