Denali National Park and Preserve Travel Answers

change location

anyone ever work at denali?

by juid8 Online Now Feb 21, 2004 at 12:09 PM

i have an opportunity to work at denali for the upcoming 2004 season. just wondering if it's worth it or if there are better job opportunities out there.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • cruisingbug's Profile Photo

Re: anyone ever work at denali?

by cruisingbug Online Now Feb 21, 2004 at 1:52 PM

My Alaska experience: I went in April thinking I could find a good-paying job to make money before starting grad school in the fall. I had three solid interviews lined up; all fell through. What I found in Anchorage at least was minimum wage (!) jobs. I was making more at my former job in the Southeast. So as far as better opptys in the Anchorage area, I would say, don't bet on it. Ask yourself WHY you want to work in Alaska - for the experience (you'll definitely get an experience anywhere in AK) or the money.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • jjkent's Profile Photo

Re: anyone ever work at denali?

by jjkent Online Now Feb 26, 2004 at 4:45 PM

I have worked for the National Park Service (in Oregon) and I've been to Denali - I don't know about other opportunities for seasonal work in Alaska (though it's probably a bit slim unless you scored a job with a fishing guide) but I would tell you, emphatically, GO FOR IT! The summer I spent at Crater Lake was one of the best experiences in my life, and really ended up shaping the rest of my life. Denali is an amazing place - if you like the outdoors, you will not regret your summer at Denali!

• 1stimestar's Profile Photo

RE: anyone ever work at denali?

by 1stimestar Online Now Apr 22, 2006 at 8:24 PM

There are a ton of jobs up here in the tourist industry. I had a friend that worked at one of the interpretive cabins for 2 or 3 seasons. She enjoyed it. Also, keep in mind that the minimum wage in Alaska is over7.00 an hour, I think7.15. Of course, it is more expensive to live up here but if you are workig at Denali you have your major needs paid for. Go for it.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Denali National Park and Preserve