Delaware Water Gap Travel Answers

change location

Driving on I-80

by purplepony06 Online Now Jun 11, 2006 at 6:40 PM

I am taking a road trip from Massachusetts to Minnesota and I will be traveling through the Delaware Water GAp and was wondering if anyone could give me any info on the driving conditions through this area. Is the highway a narrow road and does it involve driving through any steep mountain areas. I would appreciate if anyone has as much info on this as possible. My other option would be to drive through the state of New York but through the Water Gap is a shorter distance. But I am not much of a mountain traveler. Thanks for the info.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • dnwitte's Profile Photo

RE: Driving on I-80

by dnwitte Online Now Jun 11, 2006 at 7:14 PM

Easygoing rolling hills, and an interstate highway is an interstate highway wherever you are. No worries. But frankly, taking the Mass Pike over to Albany and then the Southern tier of New York State (I88 over to I 86) would save you the horrors of Metro New York and New Jersey traffic.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • tuoedisni1's Profile Photo

RE: Driving on I-80

by tuoedisni1 Online Now Jun 11, 2006 at 7:40 PM

The drive is not too bad. Lots of people do it everyday - they live in PA and work in NJ/NYC. There's a few curves and you have to slow down, but huge trucks cross that route everyday, so it's pretty safe.

If you decide to take the NJ route, try not to do it between 3-7pm on a weekday. Traffic is pretty bad and can make the trip twice as long. Otherwise it should not be too bad.
    Hope that helps!

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Driving on I-80

by nicolaitan Online Now Jun 11, 2006 at 8:00 PM

I 80 is a divided highway thruout its length. On the New Jersey side it is relatively straight and wide open. Beginning about 3 miles into Pennsylvania just west of Stroudsburg it begins to climb the mountains and is quite curvy but still wide open highway driving at full speed. As above, hopefully you are avoiding the New York City Metropolitan area to get to I 80. I assume you have a reason for being on I80. There is nothing particularly scenic about this route compared to the alternatives. If you do want to use this road and avoid NYC, take the I95 to the Cross Westchester Expressway in New York, I287. Follow the signs for the Tappan Zee bridge and get on the NY Thruway toward Albany. Exit in Suffern for I287 south to I80 and go west from there. A better route is you are not obligated to the Delaware Water Gap is I84 into Pennnsylvania and then go south to I80 near Harrisburg. Much emptier highway with higher 65 mph speed limit. Pick up I84 in Connecticut coming from Massachusetts. No less scenic,much less travelled. Lots of fast food restaurants north of the highway at Exit 3 in Middletown, altho none are really very good.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Delaware Water Gap