Del Mar Travel Answers

change location

What to do in Del Mar and around?

by ME77 Online Now Sep 27, 2008 at 12:05 PM

Hi,
I'll be in Del Mar for a few days for business reasons, and I'd like to know what I could do if it turns out that I have a little bit (half a day?) of leisure time. I'm interested in... 1. State/National Parks and 2. Shopping - of course :-)
I appreciate any recommendations and suggestions!
Thanks in advance & kind regards from Germany, Monika

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • YVRDave's Profile Photo

Re: What to do in Del Mar and around?

by YVRDave Online Now Sep 27, 2008 at 1:34 PM

There is a great Horse Race Track and alot of golf courses.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Jokerit_pl's Profile Photo

by Jokerit_pl Online Now Sep 28, 2008 at 1:36 AM

When are you going to be in Del Mar? As Griff suggested, the racetrack may be open when you are here.

Otherwise, take a trip about 10 minutes south to Torrey Pines. Besides the famous golf course there, Torrey Pines is also a state park that is worth visiting. I was there a couple of months ago and did some hiking and also lounged a bit on the nearby beach.

I'm not sure if 1/2 day is enough, but the train stops very close to Del Mar and can take you into San Diego for a quick look around.

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

by lmkluque Online Now Sep 28, 2008 at 10:42 AM

Del Mar is a nice little beach town. Not the typical California beach communities you see in movies but elegantly relaxed version. I don't know where you'll be staying but you can see the center of this town on the Introduction of my Del Mar Page. From this center you can find interesting shopping, great restaurants, a park overlooking the ocean, a beautifully clean beach and a Mediterranean style multilevel shopping area offering wonderful views of the Pacific Ocean.

You probably won't be able to see the races unless you are coming next year. The Del Mar Races open just after the SD County Fair closes, in Mid-July and close Early-September.

The suggestions of visiting Torrey Pines State Reserve and State Beach and taking the train or even a bus to explore downtown SD are really good and useful.

Also I'd add take a trip north to Carlsbad, it's another nice little beach community, or a short south trip to La Jolla which is a world class resort community. You can read about this jewel on my La Jolla page.

If you like more rural experiences and have access to a car, you can drive out northeast and see Rancho de los Quiotes a life sized museum of historical Mexican/ Early Californian buildings of the area in a rustic desert setting. You can read more about it on my Carlsbad page.

I have written about these areas in,around and including San Diego in an effort to give people a broader view of their possibilities. I hope it helps you decide how to spend those precious free moments.

• Re: What to do in Del Mar and around?

by ME1977 Online Now Sep 29, 2008 at 12:22 PM

Hi everyone, thanks a lot for your fast & helpful replies - I'm already looking forward to my trip to Del Mar :-)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines