Debre Libanos Travel Answers

change location

simien mountains in ethiopia

by sergedhont Online Now Dec 6, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Hello,
We would perhaps go to the simien mountains for 3 or 4 days.
In that case we have to hire things (a tent ...).
Who did such a trip?
Could you tell us more.
Many thanks.

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • kokoryko's Profile Photo

Re: simien mountains in ethiopia

by kokoryko Online Now Dec 8, 2012 at 1:34 AM

You don’t necessarily have to hire a tent, or whatsoever.
    Facts are:
    1) it is compulsory to register at the National Park office in Debark (foreigners CANNOT enter the park without registration)
    2) You cannot go in the Simien without a guide or (and) a scout, from the Park administration.
    3) The (very efficient) park office manager (or a scout) will take you “in town” to shops where you can buy / rent equipment and food; your tent problem will be solved there, but you can consider accommodation in lodges or villages.
    All this looks a bit limiting, but the facts (for me) proved it was not; I hired a mule with the mule keeper and had a scout. The scout just accompanies you, checks if what you want to walk is feasible. I walked 5 days, had full freedom, and in addition had the mule keeper who also cooked my dinners, made tea. . . etc. The scouts know very well the area and take you to the places which are worth a detour from the main trails. At the (quite rough) lodges or tent camps, you are totally free and walk on the edge of kilometre high cliffs in the thick fog, if you feel in the mood . . . . I was totally free during my short trek, the guys were very discreet and let me do what I wanted, I just had to have them with me from administration point of view.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines