Death Valley National Park

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• LA to San Fran via Death Valley.

by amymal Online Now Mar 30, 2014 at 2:11 AM

My friend and I are planning to drive from LA to San Fran via DV over 2 days.
      Is it possible to see some of the landmarks in this time frame? Which ones do you suggest?
      And where would you recommend staying for the night as a halfway mark?
      Thanks in advance.

more
    • LA to San Fran via Death Valley.

by amymal Online Now Mar 30, 2014 at 2:11 AM

My friend and I are planning to drive from LA to San Fran via DV over 2 days.
      Is it possible to see some of the landmarks in this time frame? Which ones do you suggest?
      And where would you recommend staying for the night as a halfway mark?
      Thanks in advance.

3 Answers Mar 30, 2014 at 9:04 PM
    • TiffanyM11's Profile Photo

Planning help for Death Valley..Christmas with a wheelchair.

by TiffanyM11 Online Now Jan 6, 2014 at 12:46 PM

I am planning a trip for this Christmas to Death Valley. Our family includes 1 teenage girl, 1 wheelchair bound MIL and 2 trail lovers.
      Seems some things say they are wheelchair accessible: Scott's Castle, Salt Creek...do you know of any others?

My goal is (of course) to make everyone happy. I am thinking we'd get a room as nearby as (wheelchair accessibly) possible - hopefully in a cool small town to visit at that. Eat and explore the town, let everyone rest and go someplace or two together, the next day plan a can't miss hike and go back and forth like that.

We will be driving from Northern California (Richmond) so what is closest on that side? Where can we get the most out of this trip?

4 Answers Jan 6, 2014 at 4:08 PM
    • Will I have time?

by sjmbruce Online Now Nov 10, 2013 at 6:56 PM

I have four, maybe five hours in death valley. I will be entering through Beatty. I would like to drive to titus canyon, then down to stovepipe wells village and emigrant. I would then like to go to the scenic loop at twenty mule team canyon and maybe down to dante's view. turning around there, I would go to badwater road at furnace creek visitors center. I want to take badwater road to artist's point loop. from there, I'd make my way back to Beatty. Is this doable in four or five hours? Thanks!

3 Answers Nov 11, 2013 at 9:49 AM
    • train service from los angeles are

by copilota Online Now Oct 2, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Is there any public train servicer from the LA area to death valey

7 Answers Oct 2, 2013 at 7:58 PM
    • economy car in death valley

by jimmy2013 Online Now Sep 19, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Hi,

i wanna go to las vegas through death valley.
      i have just a MAZDA 2, a small economy, actually just for the city.
      would you say that i shouldnt try it with that car? is the probalility higher that the car get overheated? i dont know!

thx, jimmy

9 Answers Sep 24, 2013 at 7:10 AM
    • Las Vegas to Yosemite

by emmajb1 Online Now Aug 17, 2013 at 12:14 AM

How long will it take to get from Las Vegas to Tenaya Lodge in Yosemite on 23rd October?

3 Answers Aug 17, 2013 at 6:27 PM
    • mingomatic's Profile Photo

Best photo opportunities?

by mingomatic Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Just want to make sure to get some great shots in. Anyone know of where to get the best shots? Also, anyone have any great ideas of interesting ways to shoot in the desert? Open to hearing about props, what to wear, etc.

12 Answers Feb 27, 2013 at 10:00 AM
    • Place to stay between San Francisco & Death Valley

by miamum Online Now Feb 5, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Hi, we will be driving from San Francisco to Stovepipe Wells Death Valley via either interstate 5 or highway 99 in June & want to stay somewhere for 1 night en route, can anyone recommend any interesting places to stay? We would probably like to get as far as possible to our destination.

Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you

4 Answers Feb 5, 2012 at 10:04 PM
    • Oneill2905's Profile Photo

Yosemite to Death Valley

by Oneill2905 Online Now Jan 9, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Hi, me and my husband are travelling for 2 weeks around various places and we are due to drive from Yosemite to Death Valley. We are staying in Death Valley for 1 night at the Furnice Creek Ranch and then onto Las Vegas. I have seen various posts that it will take 7-8 hours to get to Death Valley, does this sound about right? Does anyone have any advice on the best route?

We are only in death valley for 1 night so we are hoping to have the afternoon to see something, would anyone have any suggestions of the sights we could squeeze in for an afternoo, evening and early morning the following day? We are also travelling in June which looks like a bad time for the heat?

Thanks in advance

Kirsty

12 Answers Jan 23, 2012 at 7:28 PM
    • Death Valley or Mojave

by jwmunos Online Now Dec 24, 2011 at 11:45 AM

My girl friend and I are taking a 5 day road trip from San Francisco to Las Vegas for NYE. We are planning on spending 2 nights in Death Valley and 1 night in the Mojave (or vice versa). Any suggestions? Where should we spend 2 and 1 nights? Things we should not miss?

14 Answers Dec 27, 2011 at 3:45 PM
    • Winter route from Las Vegas to Stovepipe Wells, Death Valley

by patsepul Online Now Nov 23, 2011 at 12:08 PM

In late December, I will be renting a car in Las Vegas and driving to Stovepipe Wells, Death Valley. It looks like the most direct route is H-95 North from LV to 374 & 374 West to 190.

My concern is weather. Are these roads open all winter? Need I worry about 4 wheel drive or chains? Is this the best route in order to avoid those issues, or should I take 373 off of 95 (become 127 in CA) & go down to 190 that way?

Thanks for any advice.

3 Answers Nov 23, 2011 at 9:44 PM
    • itinerary help needed

by gapiffy Online Now Aug 3, 2011 at 12:31 AM

i am planning a trip for my australian family of six in December-- flying into las vegas -we do want to go to grand canyon,bryce,monument,moab if we can do them . we want to drive through death valley up to yosemite then onto sfo.We have about 8 or 10 nights total from leaving lv to sfo (not sure how to work itinerary) not sure how to get from the canyon areas or monument valley over to death valley. pretty sure we have bitten off more than we can chew !!!
      .I need help -- well with everything! Any suggestions gratefully received !!.

10 Answers Aug 4, 2011 at 4:54 AM
    • Death Valley to Yosemite in January

by helenslea Online Now Mar 22, 2011 at 4:49 AM

We are planning to travel from Las Vegas to Yosemite via Death Valley in early January. My idea is to take 2 days to drive. Would we be better to drive South from Death Valley and then North through Bakersfield or North from DV through Bishop and then accross on Hwy 88?
      If South, where could we stay out of Death Valley but not as far as Bakersfield?
      If North, it looks like Lone Pine is a good option.

6 Answers Mar 22, 2011 at 5:34 PM
    • Death Valley from Las Vegas in Feburary?

by Meitantei Online Now Jan 29, 2011 at 4:02 PM

Hello travelers! I will be going to Las Vegas with my family for a few days starting next weekend, and I'm looking into the possibility of taking a day trip to Death Valley. We were considering a tour, but we prefer to have our own freedom of where and how long to visit the sights, to top it off, none of the tours we wanted to join were available on our desired travel dates. We will be renting a regular 4-door car, not an SUV and not a 4x4.

The plan so far is to leave at around 5am in the morning, take the CA178 and onto Bad Water Road to sightsee on the way (Badwater, Devil's golf course, Artist's palette). Hopefully we'll reach Furnace Creek at around noon, where we'll be eating and checking out the visitor's centre. In the afternoon we'll make a quick drive to Devil's cornfield (and see the sand dunes), and go back to Dante's View, and take the 190 back to Las Vegas.

Here are some of my concerns with sightseeing and road conditions:

- I've read on wikitravel that chains may be needed, I've checked the weather conditions, seems like there's no snow for the past few days and no forcasted snow during our visit (next weekend). But I'd just like to ask for those of who's been there, would it be necessary to add the chains?

- Though the weather seems fine, several roads seem to be closed from the Park's morning report as of Jan 28th:

Hunter Mountain Road..CLOSED for the winter due to snow.
      Keane Wonder Road ....CLOSED; road and mining area closed to entry due to mine-safety hazards.
      Saline Valley (South Pass)..Signed CLOSED by Inyo County; 4x4 recommended; expect winter conditions, carry chains.
      Saline Valley (North Pass)..CLOSED for the winter due to snow.
      Titus Canyon Road .......Open, use caution
      Upper Wildrose Road....Open with snow 1/4 mile before kilns; road closed beyond kilns.
      Saratoga Springs ..........Road CLOSED due to mud.

Would these roads affect my plan mentioned above?

- On the general road conditions during winter, is there anything else that I should be noting down? Is my plan doable on a regular car?

Lastly, are the sights manageable with the time I've allocated to it? Are there any changes to my sights that you would suggest?

3 Answers Jan 30, 2011 at 11:13 AM
    • what to do for 1-2 days

by chrisroo Online Now Jan 12, 2011 at 5:08 PM

My husband and daughter and I are considering travelling from Los Angeles for a viasit to Death Valley. We would probably leave in the morning from LA and stay over one night or maybe two. What would you suggest we do or must see's? Would it be advisable to stay 2 nights coming from LA and if so where would you suggest we stay? Also, is it necessary to have a 4 wheel drive vehicle? Thanks.

9 Answers Jan 14, 2011 at 2:16 PM
    • Decent hotels close to Death Valley

by SylvieBlue Online Now Dec 30, 2010 at 5:07 AM

Hey
      We will travel around the SouthWest this April/May. End of April, we will leave Yosemite NP and move on to Death Valley. However, we just noticed that the road to the East in Yosemite will be closed, so we are forced to leave it to the South and drive all the way around Sequoia to reach DV. Because this makes the drive up to DV very long, we are looking for a decent hotel not too far from DV (we'd prefer driving most of the road on the day we leave Yosemite). Anyone had any experience with this? We are from Europe and finding hotels in between the 2 parks proves quite hard...
      Enjoy the Christmas days!
      Sylvie

4 Answers Jan 1, 2011 at 10:45 PM
    • Tour Guide for Death Valley

by debanjan.goswami Online Now Dec 25, 2010 at 4:36 PM

We're planning a trip to DV in mid-March 2011 and wondering if anybody has a 3-4 day plan covering interesting spots at DV. That will help us a lot to plan our trip. Thanks,

6 Answers Dec 29, 2010 at 7:55 PM
    • Weather between Christmas and New Year

by gail128 Online Now Oct 24, 2010 at 3:42 PM

Thinking about a trip to Death Valley between Christmas and New Year. Heard it rains a lot during that time of year. Is that true? Any other info? Thanks in advance.

1 Answer Oct 24, 2010 at 6:46 PM
    • Road conditions around the DV in March, getting to the park

by mileh Online Now Oct 1, 2010 at 12:53 AM

Hi,

We're planning a trip to DV in mid-March 2011 and are now wondering about the usual condition of the roads in and out of the park during that time of the year and hope to hear from people who've visited the park in the spring time.

Can the roads be icy or can there still be snow in the higher altitudes in March? We're from Europe and not really familiar with the use of snowchains etc. will we need snow chains or is that no longer a concern in March? We're planning on hiring a sedan type of a car and will stay on the paved roads but the way in the park seems to go over mountains and that's our main concern.

We're planning on staying for 3-4 nights in the park in order to have time to go on some moderate hikes and have time to enjoy the nature and scenery.

We're grateful for all replies and advice!

8 Answers Oct 12, 2010 at 10:10 AM
    • vtwoo's Profile Photo

Where could i find a city map of Palm Spring online?

by vtwoo Online Now Sep 7, 2010 at 8:34 PM

Where could i find a city map of Palm Spring online? Thanks. (I can't find Palm spring forum, so post here to ask for help)

3 Answers Sep 8, 2010 at 1:54 AM
    • tours

by DesertAmanda Online Now Sep 2, 2010 at 2:32 AM

Does anybody know any tour companies that take people through Death Valley? I am coming alone and I am really keen to spend a 3 -4 days in the area checking it out. I will be around during the week commencing 18 October 2010

7 Answers Sep 3, 2010 at 10:23 AM
    • mmyerspa's Profile Photo

Off road / 4WD adventures

by mmyerspa Online Now Aug 22, 2010 at 11:29 AM

I visited Death Valley a few years ago, and would like to go back. I am planning to be prepared with a 4WD vehicle this time. What places would you recommend going with a 4WD? I am thinking the Racetrack, and the larger sand dunes. Where else? I appreciate any tips regarding these places or others.

VT rocks!

2 Answers Aug 23, 2010 at 10:40 AM
    • Please i need a quick answer!!I will travel this week!!

by Deca7 Online Now Jul 21, 2010 at 9:35 AM

Hi. My name is Denise and i am from Brazil.. Me and my husband will spend 15 days in california.. We will staay at LV and then go to Lee Vinning(the Tioga Pass Road on Yosemite..)I did a map in google with this directions:
      LV-95N-373-190-395.
      But I have another option that is from Parhump:
      LV-160-Ash Meadow Road-190-395
      I'm so crazy about this.. I don't know which is the better way!! Can you please help me? I will travel this week!!!
      Kisses Denise

1 Answer Jul 21, 2010 at 12:19 PM
    • Road trip : Reno, Death valley, Las vegas

by goa2010 Online Now Jun 19, 2010 at 10:19 PM

Hi, We are planning a road trip from Reno to Death Valley & Vegas. We will be travelling with a toddler, 2 yrs old. via 395.

I would like to know whether it will be k to travel with a 2 yr old. I know from website the weather will be around 100-106/7. Is it worth going there. We are curious to see what DV actually looks like. We dont plan on hiking just going to take some pics and memories with us and then moving on to Vegas. Pls advise those who have done the trip with kids.

Also any advice for the car and if there are any restaurants or gas stations in the park. Thanks

2 Answers Jun 20, 2010 at 7:46 AM
    • veliaze's Profile Photo

Too hot in Mid-September?

by veliaze Online Now Jun 9, 2010 at 11:55 AM

Planning on a Las vegas - DV - Yosemite trip in mid-september and all I read about Death Valley about this time of year is that it is unbearable and therefore should be avoided if possible. We will probably be doing this trip sometime about 15th-20th september.

What would you recommend doing in DV/owens valley during that time of year if you got, let´s say 1 or 2 days for Vegas to Yosemite.
      The enormous heat is a bit of a concern since I don´t want to miss DV and this will be a chance of a lifetime it seems...

5 Answers Jun 14, 2010 at 7:55 AM
    • Death Valley National Park

by amuchhala Online Now Feb 14, 2010 at 7:40 AM

Hi

I am planning to use a 2WD minivan in Death Valley National Park. Would I be able to see basic things like Scotty's castle, sand dunes, some scenery etc?

My family includes my 74 year old mom who is used to hot weather but not very cold weather. Any tips are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks

Apurva

6 Answers Feb 14, 2010 at 2:07 PM
    • Telescope Peak

by Kameha Online Now Dec 21, 2009 at 5:40 PM

I also want to hike Telescope Peak and I'm doing a research. I'd appreciate any suggestions on hiking Telescope Peak in December. Thank you.

1 Answer Dec 22, 2009 at 2:12 PM
    • Driving in Titus Canyon

by Kameha Online Now Dec 21, 2009 at 5:34 PM

On 12/24 I'm leaving for San Diego where I want to rent a car and drive to Joshua Tree NP and then Death Valley NP.

I definitely want to see Titus Canyon and I'm not sure if I need AWD. AVIS can't even guarantee that the car I reserved (I made a reservation for a standard SUV) is going to be AWD. I'm supposed to call them the day before to put in a request.But do I really need one? Thanks.

3 Answers Dec 28, 2009 at 10:59 PM
    • Day Trip to Death Valley National Park from Las Vegas

by justme1 Online Now Aug 25, 2009 at 9:35 PM

We are planning a day trip to Death Valley National Park starting early in the morning and returning back at night from Las vegas. Any recommendations on what we must visit and see will be greatly appreciated. Also, are there any accomodations close to Death Valley (Las Vegas side)?

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

Victor

5 Answers Aug 26, 2009 at 9:52 AM
    • Polar Jackets (white)

by pbaisden Online Now Mar 30, 2009 at 6:30 AM

We visited Death Valley several years ago and loved it, we purchased a white jacket with your logo on it and would like to buy 2 more, where can we purchase them, They are white with navy lettering and have the Polar label in them. thanks for your help, we want to come visit again sometime soon. Regards, Patti

2 Answers Mar 30, 2009 at 5:01 PM