Death Valley National Park Travel Answers

change location

Road trip : Reno, Death valley, Las vegas

by goa2010 Online Now Jun 19, 2010 at 10:19 PM

Hi, We are planning a road trip from Reno to Death Valley & Vegas. We will be travelling with a toddler, 2 yrs old. via 395.

I would like to know whether it will be k to travel with a 2 yr old. I know from website the weather will be around 100-106/7. Is it worth going there. We are curious to see what DV actually looks like. We dont plan on hiking just going to take some pics and memories with us and then moving on to Vegas. Pls advise those who have done the trip with kids.

Also any advice for the car and if there are any restaurants or gas stations in the park. Thanks

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • elizamanda's Profile Photo

Re: Road trip : Reno, Death valley, Las vegas

by elizamanda Online Now Jun 19, 2010 at 11:46 PM

Hi, we found it too hot out of the car. Not overly exciting but an interesting experience. We bought petrol in the middle somewhere. There is a great cafe just inside on the las Vegas side. Really home made food. Try to go to yosemite. It is out of this world. We are going to the ocean rd between la and San Fran in a month. Our trip to death valley was ten years ago. Have fun.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • lmkluque's Profile Photo

Re: Road trip : Reno, Death valley, Las vegas

by lmkluque Online Now Jun 20, 2010 at 7:46 AM

You don't say what time of year you'll be making this trip, but as general advice I'd say, take lots of water. Not those individual bottles of drinking water but the one gallon size, for you and possibly your car. Also an umbrella, just in case you'll want to get out of the car at any point, an umbrella will protect you from the heat of direct sun and make quite a bit of difference.

When I travel into or through the dessert during the summer, I also take a spray bottle filled with water to spray as often as needed, especially for your hair. It is a dry heat that you'll be dealing with and wetting your hair will reduce the heat you feel.

I also stop at any gas station along the way to wet my hair and drive with the windows down. The breeze will be cooling and reduce the need to use the car's air conditioning, which can overheat the car and make you feel hotter when you're out of the car for any reason.

A two year old most likely will adapt to the heat better than you will, but make sure not to over dress the toddler while in the car.

As for restaurants and gas stations, get a good map of the area. Most towns will have food and gas and it is a good idea to bring a supply of things to eat, especially juicy fruit, so you'll have something if needed. This trip is not so dangerous as in the pioneer days, but it's always better to be prepared. I also kept one of those windshield covers that says "Help! on one side. If your car does break down, you can put the sign on the roof of the car for any passing plane to see from above and they would most likely call for help.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines