Death Valley National Park Travel Answers

change location
tigerlily2's Profile Photo

race track

by tigerlily2 Online Now Apr 27, 2005 at 3:12 AM

We'll be staying for 2 days in Death Valley Np this summer and we'd like to see the race track. We've seen some photos on the net: it's a remote place where stones are said to move by themselves very slowly leaving a trace in the sand. We'd really likee to get there to take some pictures but it's hard to know how long it takes from Stovepipe Wells (where our hotel is) and if the road is really bad ( we've read so on the net....) So if anyone of you has ever been there, thanks for sharing information!
Tigerlily

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Sevsa's Profile Photo

RE: RE: race track

by Sevsa Online Now Apr 27, 2005 at 10:26 AM

You'll need a high clearance vehicle to drive to the Racetrack, 4wd would be even better but not usually necessary. Its been a long time since I've gone there so I can't give you times but its 22 miles on dirt roads from Ubehebe Crater. I was just in DV a few weeks ago and its one of my favorite places. Since you're staying in the park everything is RELATIVELY close so be sure to get out and do some hiking. Since you'll be there in the summer take a break from the heat and go into the mountains for some exploring. Check out www.nps.gov/deva/index/htm REMEMBER WATER!!!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • elsensei's Profile Photo

RE: race track

by elsensei Online Now May 3, 2005 at 7:47 PM

Death Valley in the summer? My goodness. Please be very, very careful with the heat and drink water like crazy. Coming from Europe, you will be in shock, I assure you. Remember, there is a reason they call it "Death" Valley.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines