Death Valley National Park Travel Answers

change location
mingomatic's Profile Photo

Best photo opportunities?

by mingomatic Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Just want to make sure to get some great shots in. Anyone know of where to get the best shots? Also, anyone have any great ideas of interesting ways to shoot in the desert? Open to hearing about props, what to wear, etc.

Quote & Answer
12 Answers
  • giampiero6's Profile Photo

Re: Best photo opportunities?

by giampiero6 Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 4:51 PM

What time of year are you going? I went to shoot hi-def TV for the first hi def network broadcast in 1996 for NHK? There was a huge rain season and flowers that only bloom every 100 years came out. Imagine DV carpeted with flowers. Crazy!

I highly recommend Zabriskie point...that' pretty awesome. It gets COLD when the sun is down so if you're shooting at dawn or late, thing COLD even thought it's the desert.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • mingomatic's Profile Photo

by mingomatic Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 4:56 PM

giampiero6 wrote:

What time of year are you going? I went to shoot hi-def TV for the first hi def network broadcast in 1996 for NHK? There was a huge rain season and flowers that only bloom every 100 years came out. Imagine DV carpeted with flowers. Crazy!

I highly recommend Zabriskie point...that' pretty awesome. It gets COLD when the sun is down so if you're shooting at dawn or late, thing COLD even thought it's the desert.

Hey G! We are going this weekend! We're going to try to get good shots of us with the landscape in the background. A friend was going to shoot this couple that's our friend for an engagement but they had to cancel last minute so we are going to be the subject instead. Thinking of creative ways to be photographed!

Be the first to rate this answer!

by mingomatic Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 4:57 PM

PS. This redesigned forum turned out pretty cool!

by giampiero6 Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Hey Ming! Cool! The stark crenelated weirdness of places like Zabriskie are pretty damn interesting. Tons of movies and photo shoots choose this spot because its' so interesting. I'm not much of a photographer myself, so I can't give you good shooting advice, but you'll be able to find some otherworldly locales.

You should also check out the Mesquite Dunes

by giampiero6 Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 5:04 PM

mingomatic wrote:

PS. This redesigned forum turned out pretty cool!

Glad you like it. Here's Zabriskie and Mesquite Dunes. Great photos from VT member vichatherly

• Jamesr3939's Profile Photo

by Jamesr3939 Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 6:03 PM

The crater up by Scotty's castle is pretty cool, looks like Mars.

2 members found this helpful

• pfsmalo's Profile Photo

by pfsmalo Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 5:12 AM

I would say that G's photo (vicatherly's) above is taken from the parking area along 190 from Furnace creek to DV Junction. A better place is on the other road (no number, possibly 178) not far from Furnace creek where you will find a sign for a Natural Arch. You can walk up this trail under the arch a fair way, and you come up under Zabriskie point, with the point towering above. Do not take this trail between 11.00 and 16.00 (very hot). Whatever take suncream, water and headcover. You won't need a tripod as with the sun and the colours of the sand and mountain you'll probably be shooting at speeds way above that need.

by mingomatic Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Thanks guys! Great info!

by pfsmalo Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 8:25 AM

I could imagine some good shots on the baked earth at Badwater, with all the cracks in the Earth and perhaps your girlfriend lying on it. Great contrast with black and white if you get there early enough with the sun coming in low.

by mingomatic Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Are these places near the Racetrack in Death Valley? That was the original plan... Wondering if we can do multiple locations in one or two days.

by pfsmalo Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Not too sure where the Racetrack is, but you can cross the park in under a couple of hours so multiple locs shouldn't be a problem, just be careful of the heat. Mind you it shouldn't be that warm at this time of the year.

by mingomatic Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 10:00 AM

giampiero6 wrote:

Glad you like it. Here's Zabriskie and Mesquite Dunes. Great photos from VT member vichatherly

Mesquite Dunes looks amazing!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines