Dearborn Travel Answers

change location
Dean&Vanessa's Profile Photo

Henry Ford Museum

by Dean&Vanessa Online Now Aug 23, 2012 at 2:49 AM

We will be staying in Detroit city and are interested in visiting the Henry Ford Museum. We were unsure of a few things as we do not have a vehicle and will be relying on public transport.
1. How long does it take to have a look at the museum?
2. What is the best way to get there and back without a car? Is the Amtrak from Detroit to Dearborn the best option, or there other ways?

cheers Dean

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Beausoleil's Profile Photo

Re: Henry Ford Museum

by Beausoleil Online Now Aug 23, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Hi. You will want to visit Greenfield Village along with the Henry Ford Museum. This can easily take an entire day. At least it did for us.

Public transportation is difficult in "car city" because the whole place is designed for people with automobiles. There is a bus system but I'm not sure how safe it is. Detroit is famous for its high crime rate. You might consider renting a car for the museum visit. Rentals are inexpensive if you do a little shopping beforehand.

This question was asked about a month ago so you can do a VT Keyword Search (box above) on Detroit bus or Henry Ford Museum bus and see if you can find it.

Good luck. It's a great day out and you should enjoy it once you get there. I hope someone from the Detroit area can give you bus or train advice. We've always had a car.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • MacedonianUK's Profile Photo

by MacedonianUK Online Now Aug 24, 2012 at 2:36 AM

I think you asked similar question few weeks ago and I answered in depth including giving you directions how to get from train station to the museum. Nothing changed is the same time..
    Dearborn is way less crime ridden than Detroit and town in its own right. So don't worry. We walked from Michigen Ave to our hotel ( about 2 miles) we only got strange looks when we anounced walking as is unheard in US, they go to the toilet in their cars! Specially in MI & TX.

• MacedonianUK's Profile Photo

by MacedonianUK Online Now Aug 24, 2012 at 2:38 AM

• toemayn's Profile Photo

by toemayn Online Now Aug 24, 2012 at 8:50 AM

We spent two days at the museum and Greenfield Village.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines