change location
MacedonianUK's Profile Photo

Week in Dearborn MI in December..

by MacedonianUK Online Now Nov 8, 2011 at 1:08 PM

I will be staing in
The Dearborn Inn, A Marriott Hotel
20301 Oakwood Boulevard ·
Dearborn, MI 48124 USA
from Dec 4tha to 11th.. I have never been to that area and the thing I need to know is there any public transport availabe or should I need to rent a car:
I would like to do sightseeing and I have list:

The Henry Ford: America's Greatest History Attraction
Automotive Hall of Fame
Greenfield Village
Arab American National Museum
Museum of African American History
Detroit Zoo
Cranbrook Art Museum
Detroit Institute of Arts ,Pewabic Pottery
Belle Isle Zoo
Detroit Shock
Detroit Zoo
Eastern Market
Ford Field
Greenfield Village

I think this is enough to keep me ocupied..

What will be your addvice on the local atractions??
I prefer to use public transport. I have driven in USA, but somehow those big cars make me nervous..

Valentina

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • riorich55's Profile Photo

Re: Week in Dearborn MI in December..

by riorich55 Online Now Nov 8, 2011 at 1:45 PM

You will need a car for all those destinations. Be ready for some cold weather and probably some snow. You can rent (hire) all sizes of cars, but you should probably get something a little bigger then a compact car for driving the roads during that time of year.

You should probably contact Hansi and Lori as they live just across the river in Windsor, Canada.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

by riorich55 Online Now Nov 8, 2011 at 1:48 PM

Also, since you are there during the holiday season here is a list of light festivals around the Detroit area.

inmetrodetroit.com/christmas...

• Dabs's Profile Photo

by Dabs Online Now Nov 8, 2011 at 5:13 PM

I was also going to suggest contacting Hansi & Lori, Windsor is just across the bridge from Detroit.

I have a childhood nostalgia for Frankenmuth MI, some people say it's a bit of a tourist trap but we head there every couple of years to visit Zehnder's for dinner, do a little shopping and go to Bronner's, the world's largest Christmas store (or at least it seems like it is!) Look up near Saginaw, it's just to the southeast of it.

Hopefully someone who lives near/in Detroit can weigh in on safety but I know that Detroit, like Chicago, has some problem areas. In Chicago, these areas generally have absolutely nothing of interest to most tourists but I'm not sure if the same is true of Detroit. Be aware of your surroundings, if you start seeing dilapidated buildings, bars on windows, junky cars and housing projects, you are not in an area you want to be in.

I think Rich is right, having a car will make your life so much easier, after all Detroit is the motor city! But I don't think you need to rent a huge car, I used to drive a little VW and I swear it was the car that handled the snow the best out of all I've had. And December won't necessarily be really snowy, some years we barely have any until Christmas in Chicago and Detroit has a similar weather system as that's where we send our weather when we're done with it.

• bocmaxima's Profile Photo

by bocmaxima Online Now Nov 8, 2011 at 6:12 PM

Dearborn's an interesting city. It's a suburb, so it often gets overlooked, but there's a lot there, as you've already found. It has the largest per capita ethnically Arab population of any American city and is home to the largest mosque in North America. There are active, vibrant urban neighborhoods, sweeping parklands and greenbelts, and the industrial meccas, including Ford's famous River Rouge facility - which is consider the birthplace of modern production - all right next to one another. I've always thought Dearborn was what Detroit should be if Detroit hadn't become what Detroit is.

I always get pointed to areas of Detroit by those who live there with the caveat that it's the "good" part of Detroit. I've been to these places and have never been impressed, mostly because there are better examples of the same sort of areas in other American cities. Detroit is ripe for the sort of dark tourism where you visit abandoned buildings, formerly fashionable neighborhoods turned uninhabitable, and examples of industrial scars from early 20th century capitalism. I enjoy those sort of things but, past that, I think it's best to stay out of Detroit altogether. Royal Oak is nice.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

by Dabs Online Now Nov 8, 2011 at 7:25 PM

Ford's Rouge Factory Tour is one of the very few factory tours left in the US, I think it would be interesting to see

http://www.hfmgv.org/rouge/index.aspx

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Nov 8, 2011 at 9:48 PM

I spent several of my high school years in Detroit (well, Royal Oak) and they had a great bus system at the time. It's probably gone now . . . so sad. I visited most of your list by bus and had a great time.

Of your list, don't miss:
    The Henry Ford: America's Greatest History Attraction
    Automotive Hall of Fame
    Greenfield Village
    Detroit Zoo
    Cranbrook Art Museum
    Detroit Institute of Arts

The others I don't know about but the Eastern Market sounds very interesting.

Enjoy your trip and if they're performing, catch a concert by the Detroit Symphony Orchestra.

• MacedonianUK's Profile Photo

by MacedonianUK Online Now Nov 9, 2011 at 2:08 AM

Hubby works for Ford and we will be in town, for an conference and for him getting reward at galla dinner..
    So I guess all Ford will be included in this package, but just in case I put it up.. :)
    I will than defo rent a car just in case and I presume it wont be a problem taking it across the border to Windsor..
    Weather wise, I am gearing towards warm and practical (snow)
    Anything interesting to see on a 30-45min ride from town? Or just keep to Dearborn/Detroit and Windsor areas??

by riorich55 Online Now Nov 9, 2011 at 4:48 AM

You might also venture a little west and visit the town of Ann Arbor which is the home of a very large American University, the University of Michigan.

• Dymphna1's Profile Photo

by Dymphna1 Online Now Nov 9, 2011 at 10:50 AM

You probably will want something that is all wheel drive or 4wd at least.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines