Daytona Beach Travel Answers

change location

visiting for first time

by mellonclan Online Now Apr 12, 2005 at 11:14 AM

Hi
I will be visiting Florida in August. 6 nights Orlando, 4 nights Fort Lauderdale and 4 nights Daytona Beech. Having read the info on here I am now wondering if I am visiting during the huricane season. We are a family of 4 where the 2 childre are not children as they will be 16 and 18!!!
What does everyone suggest we do in each place apart from Universal Studios etc. My daughter wants to swim with dolphins, my husband drive a racing car at Daytona, my son scubadiving and for me my dream is out of this world...... to experience total weightlessness in space on the space shuttle or space station!!! (nothing too adventurous!!)

Any information gratefully received.

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • JOJOZ112's Profile Photo

RE: visiting for first time

by JOJOZ112 Online Now Jul 17, 2006 at 9:34 AM

Hi! I hope I can be helpful with your trip. I live right next to the speedway and not too far from Orlando. August is right during Hurrican season, but so far, we haven't had any yet. They say that means that we should be hit later in the season, which is late August, early September. As for your husbands wish, I have the brochure right in front of me for the Richard Petty Driving Experience. I work at a hotel in the area, and I have heard from many guests that this was the ultimate experience, so Im sure your husband will love it! Just call 1-800-be-petty to make a reservation. He can either ride along with a driver or drive on his own! It's a bit pricey (around200) but well worth it if he's a fan.
    To go swimming with dolphins (or sharks!) just call 800-406-2244, or you can go online to book. This sounds like fun, but I think I would be scared, even with the dolphins!
    As for 0 gravity, Im not to familiar with the Kennedy Space Center. I was there once, they have a great gift shop! And dont miss the Imax show, your kids will love it. To make reservations for the Astronaut Training Experience, call 321-449-4400 to book.
    If you want some great souvenirs and have some time on your trip, you should visit the Daytona Flea & Farmers Market. It's huge and full of really great gifts to bring back home! It's open year round and it's great just to look around!
    Well, I hope I helped in some small way. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines