places to eat

by freewaywanker Online Now Nov 6, 2004 at 9:16 PM

Can anyone tell me a good resturant to eat at in the Dayton area? Thanks

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Rixie's Profile Photo

Re: places to eat

by Rixie Online Now Nov 8, 2004 at 5:42 AM

I emailed a friend who lives in Dayton, and these are her recommendations: Truffles in the Crosse Pointe Shopping Center has excellent food, but is usually crowded. It offers many varieties of coffee and bottled soda. It is a small place aimed at the hurry-up lunch crowd. Golden Nugget Pancake house has great breakfasts and fatty but abundant lunches, and closes each day at 2:30. There are 2 locations. For fast food, I recommend Steak & Shake, a hamburger place where everything is made to your order. The child's portion is plenty. Downtown, Pacchia has a varied and sometimes trendy menu, but the food is good. City Lights Cafe in the Schuster Center downtown is said to be good, but I haven't been there yet. I believe it requires something better than the jeans and T-shirt I have been wearing to sand floors or paint the house in. Jay's Seafood in the Oregon District is also said to be excellent. Pricey, special occasion place. Thai 9 offers Asian cuisine, sort of. L'Auberge is pricey. Fans of pizza like Dominic's, also known for garlic salad dressing that will melt gym socks. This is not a joint. Fans of extra sauce on their pizzas (me) rave about Marian's Pizza, where the round pizza is cut into squares for easy grabbing. The crust is crisp, the toppings are generous and good quality. Their idea of a dinner salad doesn't thrill me (sliced iceberg with a small amount of grated carrot waved over it).

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Rixie's Profile Photo

Re: Re: places to eat

by Rixie Online Now Nov 9, 2004 at 5:56 AM

My friend's husband adds: "For high-price fare, the Pine Club is a steak house with a decent rep. Never been (tho it is right next to a Ben & Jerry's). Two caveats I've heard: it's dark and service is, um, leisurely. East of Dayton in Yellow Springs is The Winds, highly regarded. The Barnsider is old-style family fare. Known for its prime rib. So c'mon by. We'll feed you well."

• Re: places to eat

by psleeping Online Now Jan 27, 2005 at 1:58 PM

I stumbled upon your question and couldn't stand to leave you in limbo... 1. Jay's is excellent seafood for a city that is not anywhere near a coast. 2. Pacchia is mediocre at best...and quite frankly not worth the price. 3. Thai 9 is great, cheap Asian food 4. Pine Club way overrated for the service...never ever ever order anything to drink while you are at the bar including water and you will be seated w/i 15 min. even though they told you it would be 2 hours...locals may go there...but they also get tired of the same menu...it never changes and the snottiness of the servers doesn't help. 5. Oakwood Club...excellent food, steaks, etc...service is great...little bit pricey but they do take reservations!!! Big bonus. Chef has interesting specials...never have had a bad meal...You can sit at the bar and drink... 6. Franco's pretty good Italian food.... 7. For Pizza...go to Flying Pizza (NY style) Joe's (old family recipe) or people do rave about Marions...but it's a wee bit expensive and definately an acquired taste. 8. Blue Moon-excellent fusion cooking but pricey 9. Oregon Express-bar for Pizza...free on Friday happy hour 10...The absolute best.....Tank's Bar and Grill. 100s of imported beers you can pick from the cooler....excellent burgers and fries with the skin on and the best french onion dip ever created...plus their road kill chili can go on anything...fries, dogs (hot not your lab) and your new white shirt and it still tastes great....good luck and welcome to Dayton

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines