Davao City Travel Answers

change location
grrrrl's Profile Photo

Is it still advisable go to Davao City a few months before the 2010 elections?

by grrrrl Online Now Mar 2, 2010 at 5:00 AM

I've already bought plane tickets to Davao City for our 5-day vacation this March 2010. But lately, I've been having second thoughts, what with the all these news I've been reading concerning power failure and bombing in the city.

What can you advise? It will be my first ever trip to Davao City and I was very much looking forward to it. =(

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • Re: Is it still advisable go to Davao City a few months before the 2010 elections?

by Ginda Online Now Mar 3, 2010 at 8:25 AM

I understand that electrical grid failures are all over the country. Davao had its worst "bombing days" in yrs past but it's still ongoing, only less. So, just go for it and enjoy the country's city of lights. Have a taste of all the exotic fruits! Enjoy!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • npamo's Profile Photo

Re: Is it still advisable go to Davao City a few months before the 2010 elections?

by npamo Online Now Mar 3, 2010 at 5:13 PM

My office will be going there next week for our year-end assessment. I guess we would have decided against it if we had some concern over the peace and order. As for the power failure, yes, Mindanao is the hardest hit in the Philippines as it is heavily dependent on hydro-electric power. Hopefully, you will be out of your hotel during the day going around and visiting places and that your accommodations has a back-up generator in case of brownouts. Enjoy your trip and don't forget to visit the nearby Samal Island.

• olitrac's Profile Photo

Re: Is it still advisable go to Davao City a few months before the 2010 elections?

by olitrac Online Now Mar 4, 2010 at 9:54 PM

bombing? its a way of life here in davao city..

• grrrrl's Profile Photo

by grrrrl Online Now Mar 5, 2010 at 3:20 AM

It's a way of life there? Oh my. I hope my mom wouldn't get to read that. She's been so much against my Davao City vacation plan. =(

• olitrac's Profile Photo

by olitrac Online Now Mar 6, 2010 at 3:58 AM

as to what you have post on you Home Page "reluctant traveler".. if you let your fear pull you down.. then, i'll advice you to stay where you are. I was born here in davao city and spent my childhood in cotabato.. and at 52 i'm still alive..why? are there no bombings in manila?. its all the same. But still davao city is the number one most livable city in the philippines and second in asia. and i'll tell you., manila is more dangerous to live compared to davao city.

• diego34's Profile Photo

by diego34 Online Now Mar 9, 2010 at 12:32 AM

i disagree. strongly my friend! its never our way of life!read the news carefully. u might want to know how many cities are there in mindanao. and places u referring to is not in davao.
    davao is a place of fun loving, peaceful and hospitable people amongst muslims and christians.

• diego34's Profile Photo

by diego34 Online Now Mar 9, 2010 at 12:35 AM

i dont agree with olrac grrl.. its not true. bombing is not our way of life. thats too much of a comment. davao is a beautiful, peaceful place. pls do come and have fun seeing places around.
    diego

• grrrrl's Profile Photo

by grrrrl Online Now Mar 11, 2010 at 5:22 AM

olitrac -- Thank you for your input. With the tone of your last reply, it seems that you were offended by my concern. I have never been to Davao, that was why I was asking. Rest assured that I meant no provocation or insult.

diego -- Thank you very much for your reassurance. I'm actually excited to be there a few weeks from now. ☺

• Re: Is it still advisable go to Davao City a few months before the 2010 elections?

by StickyMedia Online Now Apr 15, 2010 at 7:23 AM

i understand your fear. But about power failure, it doesn't happen much in downtown. The fact is, we haven't experienced power failure at home. And about bombing, don't be afraid of that. Davao is a peaceful place nowadays.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Davao City Travel Answer Locations