Datong Travel Answers

change location

visit to Datong from Beijing

by limlaycheng Online Now Jul 25, 2007 at 9:12 AM

We are planning a trip to Datong from Beijing - can anyone advise if there is nice scenery on the way if we take train in day time? Would we be able to buy soft sleepers on a day train from Beijing to Datong ? We thought of spending 1 nite in Datong and then taking the CITS tour for 1 day to Yungang grottoes and hanging monastery. Then to return to Beijing subsequently same day in evening - would there be long distance buses departing Datong to Beijing or would it be better to take soft sleepers on nite train but there would be problem what to do for whole nite in Datong while awaiting for train which leaves about 2300 hrs or so for Beijing. Planning to go Datong on Wed 26 Sept and returning Beijing on 27 Sept - travelling with 2 elderly folk in 70s. Any advice much appreciated

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • ellyse's Profile Photo

Re: visit to Datong from Beijing

by ellyse Online Now Jul 25, 2007 at 10:47 PM

I did the Datong -- Beijing train ride, took me 6 hours and it was a boring, crowded ride. I think it's possible to buy soft sleepers, but I guess the buses (which leave hourly till about 1700 or 1900) would be a better deal. Especially since you have elderly folk around, the buses would be more comfortable and faster as well.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: visit to Datong from Beijing

by limlaycheng Online Now Jul 27, 2007 at 8:00 AM

Thanks for your advice Ellyse. For return trip from Datong to Beijing - would there be buses leaving in the evening as well at 6pm or so ? Or should we book soft sleeper for the train after we arrive in Datong ?

• ellyse's Profile Photo

Re: visit to Datong from Beijing

by ellyse Online Now Jul 27, 2007 at 2:28 PM

I can't remember if the last bus back to Beijing (from the long-distance bus station in the south part of town) was 1700 or 1900. You could check as soon as you arrive in Datong, and buy the tickets as well.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines