Datong Travel Answers

change location

Train tickets back to Beijing

by tanby Online Now Jan 26, 2007 at 7:33 PM

I have checked with a few online travel companies in Beijing, only able to get Beijing-Datong train tickets.

How can I arrange for someone or travel agent in Datong to help get Datong - Beijing overnight sleepers?

Intend to visit Datong's Yungang Buddhist Caves and Hanging Monastary only.

Has any VTers gone with CITS day tour to these 2 places? How to book?

Thanks.

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • Mique's Profile Photo

RE: Train tickets back to Beijing

by Mique Online Now Jan 27, 2007 at 2:31 AM

I've visited those places last winter with CITS. They picked me and some other travellers up when we exited the station. We thought it was a really good idea to go with them since it was -25 c (in datong. Colder at the monastery) so we were really happy with the warm car ;-) It was so cold at the temple that teh other 3 hired those long green army coats to put over their winter jackets. Mine was just enough (but just). The good thing was that there wasn't another person in sight... The office in the train station also booked our tickets (3 of us went onwards, the 4th went back to Beijing).

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • tremendopunto's Profile Photo

RE: Train tickets back to Beijing

by tremendopunto Online Now Jan 27, 2007 at 2:33 AM

What about the traditional, oldschool, off-line, predigital buying tickets at the railwaystation in DaTong??? ;-)
    The trip is about/less than 6h so if there really are no sleepers left (what I would doubt) you can still take a seat version. Hard Seat was 46 Yuan.

By the way, the Hanging Monastery is far out of DaTong, by bus we needed a full day for it. Take bus to Hunyuan (around 10Yuan), the last town before the temple, and from there there are plenty opportunities for the last 5km....
    So what I want to say is that you may need 2 days for your sightseeing, so you can book the trainride back already when you arrive 1/2 days ahead. Should really be no problem to get tickets!

Enjoy DaTong - except the heavy coalminig, there are great sights! If you want to get an impression of the city itself, watch "Blind Shaft" - gives back the atmosphere very well.

Chris

• RE: Train tickets back to Beijing

by tanby Online Now Feb 1, 2007 at 5:46 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I was quoted US$30 per ticket for the Datong - Beijing, soft sleeper train but I understand the fare is 160 yuan (about US$20) per ticket.

Is it the norm to pay US$10 for the service fee?

About the CITS tour and booking of train tickets, how can I email Datong's CITS office or do I call the office direct?

Greatly appreciate all advice.

• tremendopunto's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Train tickets back to Beijing

by tremendopunto Online Now Feb 1, 2007 at 6:55 AM

If you need the service of a company to book train tickets, I guess you always have to pay a service fee/get overcharged.....like I said you can do the 6h ride for 46 Yuan.....

• ellyse's Profile Photo

by ellyse Online Now Feb 2, 2007 at 1:31 AM

Scrap the idea of buying from the online company, that's charging a ridiculous amount for the "privilege". I would advise you to either ask your hotel/hostel (even if you're not staying at a hostel, the charges would be vastly less) to help with them, or buy them yourself when you reach Beijing.
    There're some Datong--Beijing trains which you might want to look into buying directly from Beijing instead of waiting till you get to Datong to buy them. I've listed only the overnight timings. Prices quoted are for hard/soft sleeper lower bunk.
    N206/N207 (2220--0635) 8h15min 105/159 RMB
    2178/2179 (2231--0441) 6h10min 64/100 RMB

• RE: RE: Train tickets back to Beijing

by tanby Online Now Feb 5, 2007 at 2:13 AM

Thanks for all the replies.

Ellyse, I'm surprised to hear that I can buy Datong - Beijing soft sleepers tickets in Beijing.

That means that I can buy return tickets at the Beijing Main Station. Great, as I only intend to have a day visit in Datong for the Yungang Siku and Xuankong Si.

Thanks.

Scrap the idea of buying from the online company, that's charging a ridiculous amount for the "privilege". I would advise you to either ask your hotel/hostel (even if you're not staying at a hostel, the charges would be vastly less) to help with them, or buy them yourself when you reach Beijing.
    There're some Datong--Beijing trains which you might want to look into buying directly from Beijing instead of waiting till you get to Datong to buy them. I've listed only the overnight timings. Prices quoted are for hard/soft sleeper lower bunk.
    N206/N207 (2220--0635) 8h15min 105/159 RMB
    2178/2179 (2231--0441) 6h10min 64/100 RMB

• ellyse's Profile Photo

by ellyse Online Now Feb 5, 2007 at 6:37 AM

I'm not entirely sure if it's possible. I just said that you might want to look into the possibility, good luck!

• Re: Train tickets back to Beijing

by tanby Online Now Apr 2, 2007 at 3:55 PM

Ellyse, it's ok. I'll try my luck.
    Alternatively, I'm looking at your suggestion to check out the hostel for assistance.

Cheers!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines