Darwin Travel Answers

change location

Camper Van Trip : Darwin - Alice Springs - Ulruru - Alice Springs

by MikeM2 Online Now Dec 11, 2011 at 3:32 PM

Planning this road trip over 14 days at mid/end of April 2012

Would appreciate planning advice on what to see - which camp sites to use (or avoid) - how long to spend at each location?

Do I need pre bookings for power camp sites

How busy is this time of year ?

and generally any suggestions on things we should be aware of

Many thanks

Mike

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • wise23girl's Profile Photo

Re: Camper Van Trip : Darwin - Alice Springs - Ulruru -

by wise23girl Online Now Dec 11, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Do have a look here...advice from VT member 1+1 on driving in the outback

"Essential Outback advice from 1+1..NT Ranger" - Australia Travelogue by The_Downunder_Mob

There is more on Australia as well as well on our Aussie Group page

"INFORMATION for Downunder" - Personal Page by The_Downunder_Mob The_Downunder_Mob

If you would like to VT Mail Zig who is a NT Ranger go to his page and VT mail him under 'send message'...

"Homepage" - 1+1's Profile

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • balhannah's Profile Photo

Re: Camper Van Trip : Darwin - Alice Springs - Ulruru - Alice Springs

by balhannah Online Now Dec 11, 2011 at 10:23 PM

I doubt if you would have to book a powered site, we never do. You should be there just on the edge of the high season. There is more than one park to choose from.

• AlbuqRay's Profile Photo

by AlbuqRay Online Now Dec 16, 2011 at 8:12 AM

Mike, I did this same area in August 2010 when I went to the VT survivor camp and meet in Alice Springs. I took the Greyhound bus from Darwin to Alice Springs and rode back with Zig (1+1), so I do not have any camper van experience. However, I did see several places that I would recommend. I have finished my detailed Alice Springs area tips but have not gotten to the Stuart Highway ones. I had a bad experience with the Nitmiluk Tours people at Katherine Gorge (they refused to pick me up when my bus was late), so I had to miss the gorge and went on to the Mataranka Homestead, which turned out to be really nice. I would recommend at least 3 days there. There is much to do and see, including hot springs. Other places that I saw and would recommend on the Stuart Highway are Devil's Marbles (fantastic rock formations), Wycliffe Well (UFO display and nice campground), and Aileron (giant Aboriginal sculptures). I could send you my detailed itinerary if you like.

• aussirose's Profile Photo

by aussirose Online Now Dec 19, 2011 at 5:16 AM

Hi Mike. You might want to have a look at this site. - http://www.campsaustraliawide.com

I purchased one of these books and found it very handy.

We have also travelled with Zig and I agree with the others that if you have any questions, then I would ask 1+1.

I also agree with Ray on staying at Mataranka. We stayed at the Homestead there and it was a fantastic experience!

Have a great holiday!!
    Cheers,
    Ann.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines