Darwin Travel Answers

change location

kakadu tours with children

by gallyg Online Now Jan 6, 2010 at 3:34 AM

Can anyone recommend a company they have used for tours of Kakadu which would be suitable for a couple with a 4 year old child. Worried about ending up on a tour with a bunch of teenagers/ gap year kids.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Re: kakadu tours with children

by Anne12 Online Now Jan 7, 2010 at 1:55 AM

I went on a trip with Billy Can tours.( this would be about 5 years ago)
    It was a 3 night 4 day one and I thought it was great, no real youngies, just a crew of 30 plus, plus a couple of younger kids.
    I thought it was a well organised trip, we saw a lot of interesting areas and I learnt a lot about that area.
    We did Katherine Gorge, Kakudu and Leitchfield national park.Saw so much.
    We camped, but the camping areas were great, the tents are permanent, you don't have to put them up:)
    We had basic dinners of a night, all helped with prep and wasked dishes etc.
    You are on the right track doing a tour, I think this is a great way to see this area, also you don't miss out on anything, which can easily be done when driving yourself.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • albaaust's Profile Photo

Re: kakadu tours with children

by albaaust Online Now Jan 13, 2010 at 5:58 AM

I think you are quite right to be worried about this. When I was there everywhere there were backpackers...BTW if you want to avoid them do NOT book the Cavanagh Hotel. You don't say whether you want to go on a day trip or not. It is possible to organise a 2 day 1 night tour to Kakadu staying at Cooinda or Jabiru.It does cost a little more but may be more appropriate for you.

If you do decide to do a day tour you will find that you leave very early in the morning (5.30am) and get back to Darwin around 7-8pm. They are very long days!!

I stayed at Cooinda which was very nice (bar and restaurant and caravan park plus cabins) and from there did Jim Jim Falls. The tour company I used was Top End. If you do enquire about this tour make sure you let the manager know you are travelling with a 4 year old! and any other concerns you have.

If you want any other information let us know.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines