Darwin Travel Answers

change location

Travel in January

by Joeyoz Online Now Jul 18, 2006 at 7:35 AM

I'm planning a trip with my fiance from the Top End to the Red centre with a 4wd starting from the 2nd January. Is this a really stupid idea?? I know it is the Wet Season, and I don't mind the rain if it means there will be less tourists, but will everything be closed?? Has anyone out there experienced the Wet in Jan? I have some friends who experienced a really monsoonal March.

If we feel this is not going to work...we may travel from Adelaide to the Red Centre?? Has anyone out there done this?? is this a better idea?

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Ebear's Profile Photo

RE: Travel in January

by Ebear Online Now Aug 25, 2006 at 6:40 AM

Hi mate, tried to see where you were from but no info. I've been living in the Top End fow more than 11 years. I love it here, I love the wet season and tolerate the build up. January can be a bit of a bugger - we could have a monsoon trough about the time you're talking about, but maybe not. Our whether has changed over the past few years. What do you actually want to do? At that time of year if you wanted to just drive to Alice Springs you might be lucky and get through from Darwin and see a few things along the way, but you cannot be sure of of anything in Jan. Could be dry, but could have a cyclone or just lots of rain. Us local don't know what's going on any more!!! What is it that you want to see? If it's Uluru (Ayers Rock) it may be better to go via Adelaide in South Australia, but the Top End is just so great in the wet season, but unpredictable. Please email me through this site if you want further info.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines