Daru

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• akubra.landscapes@bigpond.com

Papua New Guinea 41 minutes ago

we are going on cruise to png & want to travel with taxi when in port or tour bus group not run by ship...is this safe way of seeing png without high cost of ship tours?

more
    • Squinchez's Profile Photo

Culture, living, nightlife

Port Moresby Aug 28, 2014 at 12:28 AM

Hi Vts,

I am travelling to Port Moresby capital of Papua New Guinea for work, any advice of the area will be highly appreciated.
      How are the people there, what is there culture? dressing code...
      I hear there is rate of insecurity there...does anybody know anything about it.

Thank you in advance!

more
    • Cruising to PNG and risk of Malaria

Papua New Guinea Sep 3, 2014 at 9:23 PM

My hubby and 3 children (ages 10, 7 and 5) are cruising to PNG next week. The cruise is for 10 days. 4 of these days will be spent visiting surrounding islands such as Alotau etc. These will be day trips only from around 9.00 - 4.00 when we have to jump back on the ship. I have a script here for all of us for malarone tablets. I have been doing some reading up on these and spoke to my Chemist yesterday. He suggested another pill called Doxycycline. My problem is that my kids can't take any anti nausea drugs just in case any of these medicines make them feel ill. What is the risk of us actually contracting this disease when we won't actually be frequenting land that much? As it stands, it looks like we may only visit one island as it is. I really don't want the kids feeling sick the whole trip due to the medication, and am tossing up whether we should just enjoy the cruise and not get off on any islands. Would wearing long sleeve shirts and pants and smothering ourselves in Bushmans etc suffice considering the length of time we are there??? Could someone give me some suggestions or scenarios of what they think is best. I have read that some people have moved there to live for a couple of years, and they have chosen not to take any anti malaria drugs. I'm in two minds of what to do...... HELP! We leave next Wednesday.....
      Thanks
      Monique

more

Near Daru