change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• WanderWoman11's Profile Photo

Transportation to Damascus from Istanbul

by WanderWoman11 Online Now Mar 18, 2011 at 7:01 AM

Does anyone know how I can get information about buses/trains from Istanbul to Damascus, Syria? Which bus/train companies? When do the buses/trains leave from Istanbul? How much is the fare? How long is the journey? Many thanks ahead.

• marktynernyc's Profile Photo

Beirut & Damascus or Marrakech & Fez

by marktynernyc Online Now Dec 17, 2010 at 7:57 PM

Any opinions? I've visited Marrakech a few years ago (was in Granda this past fall) and am very interested in going back to Morocco however Beirut and Damascus have gotten under my skin and are very unfamiliar thus alluring. Damascus is said to be the oldest city in the world. Beirut was (possibly still is?) the Paris of the East - and I hear the food in Lebanon is amazing. Beirut and Damascus for me is so far off the map which makes it very attractive while Morocco is a bit more familiar and is an incredible country. Help!

5 Answers Mar 15, 2011 at 5:27 PM
    • jlanza29's Profile Photo

From Damascus to Kark de Chevaliers Castle

by jlanza29 Online Now Dec 16, 2010 at 1:17 PM

Hello everyone got a question. How would I be able to get to see this wonderful castle the Krak Des Chevaliers from Damascus ???? Is it possible to do a day trip ??? Do you fly from Damascus or take the train or drive I read it's 280 KM away so I'm thinking that's at least 4 hr to get there and 4 hours back .... If I hired a taxi how much would I be expected to pay ???? Any info would help ... Thanks... jlanza29

2 Answers Dec 17, 2010 at 6:49 AM
    • can i stay with my boyfriend

by pw_70 Online Now Nov 25, 2010 at 5:19 PM

Hi All,

I am planning a trip to Damascus to visit my boyfriend. He has his own apartment there and I was wondering if there will be any problem with me staying with him at his apartment if we are not married.

Hope to hear soon

thanks
      P

6 Answers Nov 27, 2010 at 1:24 AM
    • DubaiRes's Profile Photo

VISA - Confusion

by DubaiRes Online Now Nov 23, 2010 at 10:59 PM

The information given on the Internet is that I need a VISA to visit Syria (to download form, attach photos etc). I have just spoken to my closest Consulate (UAE) to find out cost and the gentleman tells me that I can get a VISA upon arrival at Damascus Airport. Can anyone please confirm this. I am UK citizen. Currently resident in Bahrain. Thanks.

5 Answers Dec 12, 2010 at 1:32 AM
    • DubaiRes's Profile Photo

Around town tour

by DubaiRes Online Now Nov 21, 2010 at 9:03 AM

When I get to Damascus, I should like to book a day tour (coach, bus), incorporating all the best there is to see. What would you suggest? Any tour agency contact to give?
      Any info - pleased to receive.
      Thanks

5 Answers Jan 14, 2011 at 11:30 AM
    • obtolentino's Profile Photo

airport fee/tax at damascus intl airport???

by obtolentino Online Now Nov 12, 2010 at 4:08 AM

is there an airport fee when departing from damascus international airport. one website i browsed says 200SYP then another 1500SYP... anyone who recently used DAM who can shed light to this? or its included already in the airfare? thanks in advance...

=)

5 Answers Nov 30, 2010 at 8:23 AM
    • Visiting for 10 days starting Nov 10 - need advice and friends!

by a1i Online Now Nov 9, 2010 at 4:32 PM

Hey Syrian friends.

My name is Ali and I am 29 years old from Dubai.

I need some urgent help. This trip came at the last minute so mind you I am obviously lost and scrambling to make the best of preparations. I have read the guides but wish to have some personal recommendations as I wish to make the best of this trip, and since I will be visiting with the parents, I urgently need some advice on the best way and places to make friends whilst I roam around alone, as many know that family is fun, but not all 10 days! :S

So first off, I need a place. I know this is very short notice, but we managed to get a place for a day or two and I hope anyone can point out to any sort of decent and reasonable priced places to stay. I've been once before, and have learned the hard way that concealing where you are from is best practice, as for some reason prices multiply ten fold as opposed to traveling from another province. I am looking for clean hotel furnished type of apartments, not really a hotel, and not a private apartment either. 3 rooms would be ideal and price would need to be reasonable as I am looking for advice not to get ripped off. Location is also important, with Mezza street a good place, or close by. Term is for 10-14 days. Can you please let me know the price range I should expect as any other person would? And any ideas where can I find some ASAP?

A particular question, my uncle is on medication and I would like to know if pharmacies dispense medications without prescriptions or is it necessary to visit a doctor? Would a doctor's note from Dubai suffice?

Then there is socializing. It's funny to say, but I need friends when I visit to show me around. I've just joined the site, so please suggest any ideas and any if there are fun people out there, message me. I promise to return the favor when any one of you visits Dubai. Guys and girls are welcome ;) . Some of my closest friends are Syrian hence why I am sure there are lots of fun people around to hang out. And if I am approaching this the wrong way please help out if you've done this before. Precisely, any particular areas I should visit? How about the dating scene? And I mean harmless fun, no funny business. Anyone able to help guide me through this? Much appreciated.

Hope to hear some helpful tips soon.

Thanks again and be nice on my first posting :)

Ali

1 Answer Nov 12, 2010 at 7:45 PM
    • atifjan's Profile Photo

Hi-end / Fancy Restaurants in Damascus

by atifjan Online Now Oct 1, 2010 at 4:50 AM

Can any Damascene let me know the fancy, hi-end, must visit restaurants/clubs in and around Damascus.
      Thanks, AJ

2 Answers Oct 5, 2010 at 4:32 AM
    • Arkeolog's Profile Photo

A budget hotel in Damascus

by Arkeolog Online Now Sep 28, 2010 at 1:19 AM

Hi All,
      Im gonna visit Syria and stay at Damascus for 2 nights. Im little confused about hotel. I need a budget hotel which is good located and clean. Do you have any advices? Thanks

4 Answers Feb 26, 2011 at 12:03 AM
    • shopping

by cassim Online Now Sep 20, 2010 at 12:24 AM

salaamz

i wont to knw where does one go shopping at good prices
      in damscus

and if i want to go for a islamic tour who do i contact

thank you

please reply to my email is kassam@webmail.co.za

• flight to Damascus-best way?

by shunter1 Online Now Sep 17, 2010 at 4:08 PM

I have an unexpected "window" coming up and I was looking into London to Damascus flights. They seemed to be quite expensive.
      Is there an alternative way to get there that would perhaps be overland and therefore enhancing the experience?
      I will be travelling by myself.
      Cheers
      Sharon

8 Answers Oct 11, 2010 at 11:17 PM
    • Maykoopman's Profile Photo

Trip to Beirut from Damascus /visa

by Maykoopman Online Now Sep 13, 2010 at 12:33 PM

Is anyone informed if visas for Beirut can be obtainted at the border where the busses from Damascus arrive? What about visas for Syria, I heard controversial news about obtaining it at the airport, for how long?

3 Answers Sep 13, 2010 at 8:30 PM
    • Maykoopman's Profile Photo

Teleph9one number in Damascus

by Maykoopman Online Now Aug 30, 2010 at 8:54 AM

Can anyone find out the telephone number of my old friends in Damascus:
      Milad and George Daye, Oriental Exhibition, Haret Zeitoun, Bab Sharky,Damascus.
      Thank you very much.

1 Answer Sep 1, 2010 at 11:05 PM
    • atifjan's Profile Photo

Most of Damascus in 2 Days

by atifjan Online Now Aug 8, 2010 at 10:36 AM

Dear VT Members
      I will be visiting Damascus mid of October for 4 days, with 2 days of work and 2 days of leisure (shopping/site seeing etc.)
      Can anyone guid me to have the best of Damascus in just 2 days.
      Thanks
      Atif

9 Answers Mar 18, 2011 at 4:30 PM
    • Female friendly accommodation in Damascus

by 2Bibbie Online Now Jul 27, 2010 at 10:25 PM

I need to be in Jordan by 8 January 2011 to join a team project. I had 2 days in Damascus in December 2003 and I want to go back. The plan is to have 4 days in Damascus and then travel overland to Amman. Does anybody have any recommendations for female friendly accommodation in Damascus. From my past experience I would like somewhere in the old city, with heating (it will be the middle of winter) and an ensuite bathroom rather than shared and down the hall. It does not need to have meals (including breakfast) iincluded because I am more than happy to go out for meals especially as I plan to walk alot and really explore the old city. I have Ross Burns' book on Damascus and will also buy the most recent edition of the Lonely Planet. The Damascus Hostel (www.damascushostel.com) gets a pretty good wrap elsewhere however I wondered if any women who have travelled in Syria had any personal recommendations on hotels in the old city of Damascus. Many thanks for any advice,

3 Answers Sep 23, 2010 at 4:54 PM
    • jcc41's Profile Photo

Damascus Rooms email

by jcc41 Online Now Jul 22, 2010 at 12:28 AM

Does anyone have an email address for Damascus Rooms at
      29 Aiar Str, Damascus, please?

4 Answers Aug 1, 2010 at 12:51 AM
    • Damascus to Baalbek

by renaissancemensch Online Now Jul 20, 2010 at 10:52 AM

I would like to make a daytrip to Baalbek from Damascus, but there is a scarcity of information on the practicalities of this. What are my possibilities? The cheapest options are preferable to me. Is there a bus from Damascus to Baalbek? Where in Damascus can I catch a Service or Microbus to Baalbek? What about the return journey? I would appreciate any help with my trip!

2 Answers Jul 21, 2010 at 5:43 AM
    • nattybabe's Profile Photo

Cheap (but good) accommodation in Damascus?

by nattybabe Online Now Jul 11, 2010 at 11:32 PM

Hi all,

I've been having a look for accommodation for 3 nights in early December however it's really hard to find! We're after cheap hotel or hostels. As an example, we paid USD$10 each per night in Cairo and were happy with what we got.

Any suggestions? Also, any helpful hits or tips for 2 girls on a long weekend in Damascus would also be appreciated!

Thanks,

Nat

5 Answers Aug 12, 2010 at 7:04 AM
    • mitata's Profile Photo

From Damascus to Amman

by mitata Online Now Jun 12, 2010 at 4:55 AM

Hi,

Can anyone give me some information for my following questions

What is the best way to go to Amman from Damascus?
      What is the cost of shared taxi and how long it takes?
      Where can I take the shared taxi in Damascus?

Thx.

3 Answers Jun 12, 2010 at 11:00 PM
    • Hotel Reservation

by bubbacat606 Online Now Jun 7, 2010 at 2:07 AM

I need the reservations fax address for the Talisman Hotel on Straight Street in Old Damascus

4 Answers Feb 26, 2011 at 12:08 AM
    • al amin al jadid hotel

by swainie Online Now May 30, 2010 at 9:09 AM

Does anyone know anything about this budget hotel in the old city?

would it be a good place to stay in July?
      thanks
      is

2 Answers Jun 1, 2010 at 5:49 AM
    • Dienekes's Profile Photo

Finding accomodation in Damascus without reservations

by Dienekes Online Now May 11, 2010 at 3:53 AM

What are my chances of finding (reasonably quickly) budget accomodation in Damascus around the end of June if I make no prior reservations?
      Thanks in advance.

2 Answers May 17, 2010 at 6:31 AM
    • bvguizar's Profile Photo

Man and women can not share a room in Syria hostels and hotels without marriage?

by bvguizar Online Now May 2, 2010 at 5:32 PM

asked to Damascus Rooms which is in Damascus, Syria if I could stay with my boyfriend and they say NO.

I don´t understand why if I´m Mexican and he´s iraqi.

Does anyone from Syria knows where can we stay together? Like renting a house or an apartment.

Help

Thank you

Please answer only if you have the right information. This is not a political debate, is just vacations with my fiancee!

6 Answers Aug 6, 2010 at 5:49 AM
    • RusskiPower's Profile Photo

Damascus Airport Hotel

by RusskiPower Online Now Mar 29, 2010 at 5:40 AM

Our departure flight from Damascus is early in the morning so we want to stay at an airport hotel. However, no amount of googling did unearth more than indirect mentions that such a hotel might exist. I even found a picture titled Damascus International Airport Hotel with a P.O. Box for the address but nothing more definite.

Does anyone know of any place to stay at Damascus Airport please?

Thanks a lot in advance!

7 Answers Feb 26, 2011 at 12:13 AM
    • stevemt's Profile Photo

transport from airport to Damascus in the very early morning

by stevemt Online Now Feb 5, 2010 at 9:08 PM

I will be arriving Damascus Airport 1:55am.

What is the best way to get to my hotel?

Many thanks in advance for any help on this

8 Answers May 12, 2010 at 3:53 AM
    • Getting from Damascus to Beirut

by mattbrabner Online Now Feb 3, 2010 at 1:16 PM

Hi

Does anyone know the best way to get from Damascus to Beirut, and how much it costs, either shared or private taxi?

Thanks

Matt

2 Answers Feb 3, 2010 at 3:22 PM
    • beaches in Syria

by notski Online Now Dec 29, 2009 at 3:41 PM

Planning a trip from turkey to Egypt trough syria, lebanon and jordania. I know there is over 100 km costline in Syria,but is it free to swim everywhere. I and my husband love to snorkel and dive and when we are in Syria we would like to spend some time also in seaside.

2 Answers Jan 8, 2010 at 10:54 AM
    • coconutwireless's Profile Photo

Hama to Damascus Fast Train

by coconutwireless Online Now Dec 24, 2009 at 10:34 PM

I have been on the Syrian train web page and the only fast train that I can find from Aleppo to Hama leaves at 3:50 am? Does anyone knows if there is another?
      What time does the fast train leave from Hama to Damascus?
      Are these trains daily?

traveling with aloha
      the coconut wireless

2 Answers Jan 3, 2010 at 9:24 PM
    • stevemt's Profile Photo

Booking a hotel in Damascus

by stevemt Online Now Nov 27, 2009 at 3:58 PM

I will be in Damascus for 4 nights starting 17th April 2010. I have found out about 2 hotels that I would use, but I cant book them. Their websites don't have rates or booking forms online either?

Any suggestions???

Many thanks in advance

STEVE

ps would love to meet any Damascus VT members while there :)

7 Answers Dec 19, 2009 at 8:59 AM