Damascus Travel Answers

change location

Visiting for 10 days starting Nov 10 - need advice and friends!

by a1i Online Now Nov 9, 2010 at 4:32 PM

Hey Syrian friends.

My name is Ali and I am 29 years old from Dubai.

I need some urgent help. This trip came at the last minute so mind you I am obviously lost and scrambling to make the best of preparations. I have read the guides but wish to have some personal recommendations as I wish to make the best of this trip, and since I will be visiting with the parents, I urgently need some advice on the best way and places to make friends whilst I roam around alone, as many know that family is fun, but not all 10 days! :S

So first off, I need a place. I know this is very short notice, but we managed to get a place for a day or two and I hope anyone can point out to any sort of decent and reasonable priced places to stay. I've been once before, and have learned the hard way that concealing where you are from is best practice, as for some reason prices multiply ten fold as opposed to traveling from another province. I am looking for clean hotel furnished type of apartments, not really a hotel, and not a private apartment either. 3 rooms would be ideal and price would need to be reasonable as I am looking for advice not to get ripped off. Location is also important, with Mezza street a good place, or close by. Term is for 10-14 days. Can you please let me know the price range I should expect as any other person would? And any ideas where can I find some ASAP?

A particular question, my uncle is on medication and I would like to know if pharmacies dispense medications without prescriptions or is it necessary to visit a doctor? Would a doctor's note from Dubai suffice?

Then there is socializing. It's funny to say, but I need friends when I visit to show me around. I've just joined the site, so please suggest any ideas and any if there are fun people out there, message me. I promise to return the favor when any one of you visits Dubai. Guys and girls are welcome ;) . Some of my closest friends are Syrian hence why I am sure there are lots of fun people around to hang out. And if I am approaching this the wrong way please help out if you've done this before. Precisely, any particular areas I should visit? How about the dating scene? And I mean harmless fun, no funny business. Anyone able to help guide me through this? Much appreciated.

Hope to hear some helpful tips soon.

Thanks again and be nice on my first posting :)

Ali

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Re: Visiting for 10 days starting Nov 10 - need advice and friends!

by oahamid Online Now Nov 12, 2010 at 7:45 PM

Hi Ali

I am also looking for help. got Syrian visa and plan to be there around 10 Dec (Insha Allah) from Jordan. Travelling along and interested to know your experience or replies, particularly about decent and reasonably priced accommodation, important tourist locations etc. Can you please share information you got. my email is oahamid@yahoo.com

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Damascus