Dallas Travel Answers

change location
MelanieBee's Profile Photo

Visiting Dallas area in September

by MelanieBee Online Now Jul 4, 2009 at 12:20 PM

Hi

I'll be in the Fort Worth/Lewisville in early Sept for a few days for work, but have a couple of free days. I arrive on a Saturday afternoon and have Sunday free, and I think I have another free day on Friday.

I've been watching Pro Bull Riding on TV for a while and would like to go to a rodeo. I checked the Mesquite Rodeo website but the schedule only goes to the end of August. Will there still be something going on when I am in town? And is this the best place to go? How would I get there from Lewisville if I am not driving?

What else would you recommend? Some smart alec at the office suggested Southfork ranch...

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

Re: Visiting Dallas area in September

by mccalpin Online Now Jul 4, 2009 at 7:43 PM

Hmpf, I'm surprised to see the Mesquite Rodeo stop at the end of August, but you're right.

Well, there is still rodeo in Ft. Worth every Friday and Saturday evening in September - see http://www.cowtowncoliseum.com/news.asp

I have not been to this rodeo (I have been to Mesquite's just last year), but you can explore the website.

Note that Ft. Worth in general is a good destination (if not close to Lewisville) - see fortworth.com/01visitors/01v... for the Ft. Worth Convention and Visitors Bureau website for all sorts of stuff to do.

About the 'how to get there', well, if you don't have a car or a friend with a car, you're not going anywhere in a hurry. The DFW area was built assuming that everyone has a car, and there's just no two ways about it, especially if you're in most suburbs. I am not sure how much public transit there even is in Lewisville; I know that is a DART (www.dart.org) park and ride station in Lewsiville, but it may not have a lot of buses to places other than downtown Dallas...

Are you sure you don't have access to a car?

P.S. you are right to be disdainful about Southfork, since it is a large house on a relatively small lot (not a ranch) north of Dallas...there's nothing there...

Bill

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines