Dallas Travel Answers

change location

Public Transportation from Bedford, TX to Dallas.

by moala07 Online Now Aug 19, 2008 at 2:29 PM

Hi,

I'm a new grad student in the DFW area. I'll be living in Bedford, TX but my school is near downtown, about 25 min drive away. I was wondering if anyone could help me find a way of making it from here (Bedford) to my school: Dallas Seminary, 3909 Swiss Ave, Dallas, TX by public transportation.

Thank you,
moala07

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

Re: Public Transportation from Bedford, TX to Dallas.

by mccalpin Online Now Aug 19, 2008 at 7:08 PM

Well, this is really difficult. I can't find evidence that either the "T" (Ft. Worth) or DART (Dallas) public transportation agencies serve Bedford.

The closest public transportation that I can find to Bedford (not knowing your exact location) is the TRE line that stops in Hurst, to the south of Bedford. The stop is at 3232 Bell Spur Rd, Hurst, TX 76053, which is to the south of Bedford. I encourage you to use a mapping website to see how far that is from your Bedford location.

The TRE (http://www.trinityrailwayexpress.org/) is a rail line that runs between Dallas and Ft. Worth. From your point of view, it runs to Union Station in Dallas, where it connects to the DART (www.dart.org) light rail line as well as to buses. The route planner is currently down at the DART website, but I would assume that you would need one or two buses to get to Swiss Avenue.

NOTE: the TRE does NOT run on Sunday.

After your investigations, you will discover that mass transit in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area is geared primarily to getting people downtown and back, so it is normal that any other trip requires one or more changes. It is also very common that it is much faster to drive rather than to take public transit, assuming that public transit is even at all possible (many areas don't have it -in fact, Arlington, between Dallas and Ft. Worth, is the largest city in the U.S. without public transportation).

I assume that your Bedford address is not negotiable, but without a car, things will be difficult for you...

P.S. this trip you describe is 25 miles...so that it takes 25 minutes ONLY if you start on highway 183 (which you probably won't), the traffic on 183 and I-35 is moving at 60+ mph (not at rush hour), and the traffic from downtown Dallas to Swiss Avenue has no problems (also subject to rush hour and local traffic). In other words, this trip is 35 minutes minimum (i.e., at midnight), and more like an hour+ at morning rush hour...

Bill

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines