Dallas Travel Answers

change location

Wed Thu Fri Night in Dallas

by ABrew Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Hi there..I'm arriving in Dallas on the 16th from New Zealand staying in Addison and was wondering where I should go and what I should do for 3-4 days so I can leave with a real appreciation for the city! Are there any special events on or must do's for a 30 something guy..Thanks

Quote & Answer
12 Answers
  • Agraichen's Profile Photo

Re: Wed Thu Fri Night in Dallas

by Agraichen Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Is this spam? You've posted the same thing for two different locations in the US on the same day.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Wed Thu Fri Night in Dallas

by ABrew Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Sorry my mistake..Jetlag and I haven't even left yet!..I arrive in Dallas Wed 13th, Milwaukee Sat 16th..Cheers

• by ABrew Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 12:07 PM

sorry..Dallas wed 13th Milwaukee from 16th..

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 1:47 PM

OK, question #1 - will you have a car? Without a car, your options are sharply limited...we have some public transportation, but we don't think people ought to use it (I am only sort of kidding).

Addison is the eating and drinking center of the North Dallas area. It went "wet" (allowed alcohol sales) early on (uh, like 40 years ago), with the result that every restaurant in the Metroplex (the 6-county area comprising Dallas-Ft. Worth) has a spot here. So eating and drinking won't be a problem.

But doing things...hmmmn, look at addison2013.com/events/listi... - no, not much happening in Addison that week. But if you have a car, you can go anywhere...

Hint for foreign visitors - to find out what to do in an American city, do a Web search on "XXX convention and visitors bureau" where XXX is the name of the city (note: many cities in the Metroplex, see map). Nearly any American city has such a bureau, and these bureaus act also as the tourism information center. You will find these websites very helpful in looking for things to do.

Hmmmn, I looked over at the Eisemann Center in Richardson (where I live) where they have live performances, music, and stuff, but what I see I don't think will interest you - discovery.cor.gov/Public/IS/...

OK, if you DON'T have a car, come back and tell me, so that I can tell you how to use public transit to get around town to some places that will be interesting...

Bill

1 member found this helpful

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

by ATXtraveler Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Please definitely do a little more listing of what you normally like to do... eat, drink, party, sightsee? Obviously the Dallas "Things to Do" pages here are very informative, but we can help direct you faster if you provide more than age.

• by ABrew Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Thanks very much for the help..I could easily hire a car to get around that sounds a lot easier than taking the public transport..good news about being able to eat and drink close to the Hotel!..

by mccalpin Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 7:29 PM

ABrew wrote:
    Thanks very much for the help..I could easily hire a car to get around that sounds a lot easier than taking the public transport..good news about being able to eat and drink close to the Hotel!..

Ok, #1, we "rent" cars in the US, - you rent things, you hire people (i.e., "hiring a car" sounds like you want a driver with it)...

1. 2. Now that we know that you'll have wheels, do tell us what you'd like to do - culture - sports - chasing women, what?

Bill

• by ABrew Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Hahaha..ok I suppose you don't ask for tomatoe sauce on your chips when you go out for dinner there either? I guess all of the above would be fun activities!! Love all of them! I really just don't want to meet someone from Dallas sometime after my trip and have them say "man if you didn't see ....... ? or go to...........? you missed the real Dallas!" If that makes sense?

by mccalpin Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 7:46 AM

ABrew wrote:
    Hahaha..ok I suppose you don't ask for tomatoe sauce on your chips when you go out for dinner there either? I guess all of the above would be fun activities!! Love all of them! I really just don't want to meet someone from Dallas sometime after my trip and have them say "man if you didn't see ....... ? or go to...........? you missed the real Dallas!" If that makes sense?

Uh, no, you ask for "kethchup on your french fries"...or were you being ironic? ;-)

The 50th anniversary of the assassination of President John F. Kennedy happens this year. As you know, he was shot to death while riding in a motorcade through Dealey Plaza in downtown Dallas. This may seem like old hat to you (happening many years before you were born), but I guarantee you that even people in New Zealand who were old enough, still remember this day quite well, because it shocked the entire world.

Dealey Plaza is still there (and getting cleaned up for the anniversary this fall), along with the famous triple underpass and the grassy knoll (from which conspiracy theorists believe that the real shots that killed Kennedy were fired). Besides walking around the area and talking to the people handing out literature on their theories, you should see the 6th Floor Museum, which is in the old School Book Depository (now renamed to something I can't remember - but everyone over a certain age in Dallas will know exactly what you mean). Curiously, this is now a county building where the County Commissioners' Court meets, but there is an exterior elevator on the north side of the building that takes you up to the museum.

To me, the museum is quite well done - it's not a lengthy visit (1 1/2 hours maybe), but it captures the era (which will be of interest to you, since you didn't experience it), and eventually, you'll get to see (from a  short distance) the window that Oswald fired from. To me, this is the #1 tourist spot in Dallas.

If you're one of those people who thinks that Dallas is a television program, you can drive out to Southfolk Ranch. We locals don't go unless there is a corporate event. There actually isn't a ranch there, but just a building (the one you've seen) that is largely open, as befits a place where corporate events (dinners, dances, etc.) are held. But most people I know in Dallas don't watch the program anyway. Hey, if you're driving down Central Expressway, (US-75) and pass two gold office buildings next to each other - you see those in the opening credits of the original show - I used to work in the north one - wooot wooot!

Gotta run, I'll get back with you in a bit...

Bill

• by ABrew Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 11:30 AM

That is a great suggestion a one that completely slipped my mind! Sounds well worth a look and a stroll over the grassy knoll...thanks again

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

by ATXtraveler Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 6:49 PM

I personally would hire a car and head over to Fort Worth for the day as well. It is the more traditional old time tourist Texas experience. See the longhorns get walked down the main strip, and see "real" cowboy life!

2 members found this helpful

• by ABrew Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 3:00 PM

That sounds like fun as well thanks

1 member found this helpful

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines