Dachau Travel Answers

change location

Ok to bring an infant?

by tcleve Online Now Jan 21, 2008 at 9:41 AM

My husband and I plan to visit Dachau in our upcoming trip. We will have a 9 month old infant with us. Would it be inappropriate to bring him on this tour?

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: Ok to bring an infant?

by leics Online Now Jan 21, 2008 at 10:15 AM

It will not bother your child at that age, of course, and I can find no mention of minimum age on the Dachau Memorial Museum website (kz-gedenkstaette-dachau.de/e....

However, I would be a little wary: if your child starts to cry, especially for a long time, it might make a difficult visit more difficult for others.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Kathrin_E's Profile Photo

by Kathrin_E Online Now Jan 21, 2008 at 10:23 AM

Inappropriate... well. I'm hesitating. The kid won't understand anything about the place, so it won't harm him. Don't show him the photos, though.
    As far as other visitors are concerned, Dachau is a very moving experience, and people will not be ready to tolerate a screaming infant. So I'd suggest showing at least a little sensitivity towards others and carrying him outside as soon as he starts screaming or is obviously disturbing someone.

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo

by nicolaitan Online Now Jan 21, 2008 at 10:39 AM

Certainly agree with the above - do understand that a comprehensive visit to Dachau requires a great deal of walking, much of it on rough gravel and stone pathways. As nearly as we could determine, there is only one set of bathroom facilities located in the main building near the entrance which can leave you a long walk away should the need arise.

• lisa18752003's Profile Photo

by lisa18752003 Online Now Dec 30, 2010 at 5:58 AM

The recommended age for Dachau is 12 years old. There are no strict rules on this though, parental discretion is advised.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines