Dachau Travel Answers

change location
LadyLish's Profile Photo

Audio Tour

by LadyLish Online Now Nov 9, 2007 at 12:26 AM

I notices someone wrote that they have audio tours and highly recommend that. do they come in English? Also, Are Dogs allowed?

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • abalada's Profile Photo

Re: Audio Tour

by abalada Online Now Nov 9, 2007 at 1:08 AM

kz-gedenkstaette-dachau.de/e...
    -> Audio Guides
    " The Audio Guides are available in German, English, French, Italian, Spanish and Hebrew."

> Are Dogs allowed?
    Don't know.
    Most likely not inside the buildings.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • nancynb's Profile Photo

by nancynb Online Now Nov 9, 2007 at 6:58 AM

I too would recommend the audio tours (yes, In English)...one of my most powerful memories of my visit to Dachau is the silence....people just move quietly through the site, absorbed by the audio commentary, and there is an almost eerie stillness. It is a very profound and moving experience...be prepared to be emotionally drained when you leave. Very powerful.

• kathymof's Profile Photo

by kathymof Online Now Nov 9, 2007 at 9:06 AM

My most profound memories of Dachau are

1. Coming into the train station and seeing the sign for Dachau and knowing this is what thousands of people saw on their way to the camp and they never got back to see it again. It just overtook me and I was close to bursting out in tears. I am not a very emotional person but this was really something.

2. I accidentally entered the chapel through a back door (on the side of the crematorium). It was a sunny day and the ceiling soared and the stained glass was gorgeous. As I came out the front door, I saw this gigantic slab of concrete extended over the walkway. It provided just enough headroom. This was the first time I had ever had architecture create such an impression in me. I had this overwhelming feeling of oppression. I felt like I was being crushed by the concrete. I don't know if I would have had the same impression if I had entered through the maim door where the walkway goes under the concrete but it was overpowering to walk under it after being in the chapel.

I did not use any type of audio guide - there is very little English in the museum (at least in 1998) but the pictures told the story.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Nov 9, 2007 at 9:31 AM

I don't think taking a dog would be appropriate. Sorry, I just don't. Dachau is not a tourist attraction (or should not be regarded/treated as if it were).

• lostsooner55's Profile Photo

by lostsooner55 Online Now Nov 9, 2007 at 7:32 PM

I agree with Leics, totally. Gary

• Turtleshell's Profile Photo

by Turtleshell Online Now Nov 10, 2007 at 12:56 PM

Second what leics wrote. While I love dogs, I think it would be totally inappropriate, even if she is not going to sniff around, *** on a tomb or worse.

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo

by nicolaitan Online Now Nov 10, 2007 at 1:13 PM

The audio guides are inexpensive and come in several languages. They are obtained from white containers BEFORE you enter the camp area proper.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines