Cuzco Travel Answers

change location
swdke's Profile Photo

MORAY - THE SALT MINES – MARAS – CHINCHERO?

by swdke Online Now Jan 6, 2012 at 1:43 PM

I've been emailing a local Cusco tour guide/company, and said that I may have an extra day for our itinerary in Cusco, Sacred Valley, and Machu Picchu, and asked what he would suggest for our extra day?

He stated we could do: MORAY - THE SALT MINES – MARAS – CHINCHERO.

Can someone tell me about Moray, the salt mines, Maras, and Chinchero? Would this be a great way to spend our extra day, yes/no? Why/why not?

Also, to begin such tour, we would start from our hotel either in Ollantaytambo, or Urubamba. But, we need to be at the Cusco Airport in time to catach a 15:30 PM LAN Airlines flight to Lima. Would it be possible to do this tour in a day, and be at the airport in time?

Thank you

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • adelinemmc's Profile Photo

Re: MORAY - THE SALT MINES – MARAS – CHINCHERO?

by adelinemmc Online Now Jan 7, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Hi!
    The Maras salinas are really interesting. They are not really mines but open air salt ponds extending on a great surface on a cliff. It's quite unique and could can buy some salt as a great souvenir. The views of the sacred valley below are fantastic.
    Moray is where you can find 2 incas 'amphitheatres'. Great photos opportunities + the plain to get there is lovely to cross with vibrant colours.
    I think Chinchero's main appeal is the market so if this is not a market day it's a bit pointless, check with the agency.
    If you start real early you might make it but bear in mind that there are frequent road blocks/strikes/problems in Peru (in fact the day we did that tour our taxi had to go around via a big loop because the Chinchero rod was blocked during the morning) so it might not be a good idea to do this when you have time constraints.
    A

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • al2401's Profile Photo

Re: MORAY - THE SALT MINES – MARAS – CHINCHERO?

by al2401 Online Now Jan 7, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Would you be coming back to Ollantaytambo before heading back to Cusco or would that be part of the trip. It takes a couple of hours to get from Ollantaytambo to Cusco and you would need to be at the airport by 14:30 at the latest.

Pisac markets are worth a visit if not already included in what you have seen (and if you travel on the right day).

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines