Cuzco Travel Answers

change location
micky_d's Profile Photo

travel Lima-Cuzco-Puerto Maldonado

by micky_d Online Now Nov 23, 2005 at 9:27 AM

Hi,
I would like to know the bst way to get around in Peru. I'm planning on going from Lima to Cuzco, then maybe to Puerto Maldonado. I read that the bus might take 24hours to get to Cuzco- is that true? is that what most backpackers do?
Also, is it better to go to Puerto Maldonado or Huaraz for another trek on the Huascaran?
I'm trying to do all of this in about 16days- possible?

Thank you for any help I get- I'm kinda lost
micky d.

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • raraavis's Profile Photo

RE: travel Lima-Cuzco-Puerto Maldonado

by raraavis Online Now Nov 23, 2005 at 10:01 AM

It could take you a long time by bus because highway system in Peru is unreliable and unpredictable. We encountered meat tax protests where villagers threw large rocks onto the highway to block traffic. We were held for a few hours (in a long line of vehicles) when the villagers finally decided to move the rocks. Protests are regular affairs.

Best way to go is by air. It's a short flight from Lima to Cusco. The thing is weather can be unpredictable in the Andes. We were held up in Lima airport for a few hours to wait for weather to clear up.

It's definitely possible to do all in 16 days. Earlier this year, I went from Lima to Puerto Maldonado by flight, Puerto Maldonado to Cusco by flight, Cusco to Ollantaytambo by bus, then Inca Trail, Agua Caliente to Ollantaytambo by train, Ollantaytambo to Puno by bus. I didn't do Huaraz, so can't help you there.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines