Custer State Park

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Road trip for a family of five which include 3 teenagers

Rapid City Apr 12, 2014 at 7:59 AM

My family and I are flying in to Rapid City in mid July our plans are to drive and visit the 1880's Town, Badlands, and Wall Drug then travel to Keystone where we would spend 2 nights while there we will visit the Needles, Mt. Rushmore and the Wind Cave. Travel to Sturgis visit the Motorcycle Museum, catch the Wild Bill Hickok reenactment in Deadwood, and Spearfish Canyon then stay 1 night at lodging in Deadwood. Travel to the Devil's Tower then head to the Battle of Little Big Horn in Mt., then travel to Cody, Wy where we would stay for 3 days, I'm not quite sure what there's to do in Cody for 3 days. Then head to Yellowstone for 3 days. My husband wants to stay at Yellowstone Under Canvas for the three nights, but I think that's too many nights. While in Yellowstone we would like to visit the Mud Pots, Mammoth Hot Springs, Old Faithful and go hiking, however we never hiked before. 3 days in Jackson Hole. While in Jackson Hole we want to go whitewater rafting, visit Grand Teton, and do the Cover Dinner Wagon. My kids would like to go horseback riding, but I don't know where I should add this to the itinerary. I would like this to be a trip that my teenage childrens would remember. Is there any recommendation of things we should eliminate or add to the list of things to do and see on our trip? Also what would be best scenic route to take? Thanks

more
    • Correction to Night lighting at Mt. Rushmore question

by luv2sew39 Online Now Jun 21, 2013 at 2:13 PM

I didn't mean drive "home" but instead, back to our camp site in Custer SP.

• Night lighting at mt. Rushmore

by luv2sew39 Online Now Jun 21, 2013 at 1:57 PM

We are camping at North Stockade Lake in Custer SP next week. What would be the best route to drive home from Mt. Rushmore, should we decide to stay for the night lighting?

1 Answer Jun 22, 2013 at 7:20 AM
    • Buffalo Roundup

by appylady Online Now Jul 7, 2010 at 7:59 PM

We are planning on going to the buffalo roundup in Sept. Does anyone know if the campgrounds are packed full during the roundup? We would like to stay at Center Lake campground but, if I understand correctly, you can't make reservations ahead of time at Center Lake campground. Is that correct?

Any info on the roundup and camping would be appreciated. Thanks.

3 Answers Dec 1, 2010 at 8:12 PM
    • Custer State Park Camping Cabins

by SDNewbie Online Now Apr 6, 2010 at 4:25 PM

We are staying for two nights in a camping cabin the Game Lodge area. The only other area open for the other two nights of our stay is in either in the Game Lodge area or the South Stockade area. I cannot find any pictures of the South Stockade area. Has anyone stayed at this campground? What is it like and would you recommend it over the Game Lodge area? It will be myself, my husband, and our 9 year old daughters. Thanks.

• dc2837998's Profile Photo

Lodge Rooms

by dc2837998 Online Now Oct 17, 2006 at 6:00 PM

The websites for the 4 Lodges are seriously lacking in room pictures/descriptions. Does anyone have any they care to share?

• Where to camp?

by us2byooper Online Now Feb 27, 2006 at 7:34 AM

Our family will be coming to S.D. for the first time in mid June.We were thinking of staying in either Sylvan lake campground or Stockade lake north campground any comments about these campgrounds or others in the area would be greatly appreciated

1 Answer Mar 23, 2010 at 12:41 AM
    • Packerman's Profile Photo

What to do with kids?

by Packerman Online Now Jun 27, 2005 at 6:43 AM

This park looks cool on the web, but for those who have been there, what would you suggest we do with kids ages 6 & 8?

4 Answers Mar 23, 2010 at 1:03 AM