change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• stamporama's Profile Photo

Questions, questions....

by stamporama Online Now Mar 28, 2014 at 2:40 AM

1) Which gives a better exchange rate in Cusco, banks or money changers?
      2) What are the areas is Cusco that tourists should stay clear of?
      3) If we need to catch the 11 am train from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes, what time should we leave Cusco if we take a cab? How much is the current taxi fare between Cusco and Ollantaytambo, one-way? Or is there an alternative to a taxi, like maybe an express bus (same route)?
      4) I understand that food cannot be brought inside Machu Picchu but what about water? Could someone verify that it is allowed provided that it's in refillable containers but not in plastic disposable bottles?
      5) Finally, is it possible for Machu Picchu visitors to enter the Inca Trail in the reverse direction in order to view Winay Wayna? If yes, how much is the cost if any and is a guide still required for this?

Thanks for any responses!

more
    • fast early morning/midday/evening buses Cusco/puno

by viajewel Online Now Mar 23, 2014 at 6:50 PM

We have found some buses that do Cusco to Puno arriving at 2 pm earliest. Are there any that arrive earlier in the day? We don't really care what sort of bus so long as its cheap and fast. (Local bus...?)

And wed also like to find a bus from Puno to Cusco that leaves in the afternoon, so arriving around 9 or 10. Just as long as this one doesnt leave in the morning and doesn't drive during the sleepiest hours, we want it.

Why do the bus companies only have early morning or overnight service?

more
    • JosephW10's Profile Photo

Travelling to Machu Picchu from 2th May to 6th May (4 nights)

by JosephW10 Online Now Mar 25, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Hi everyone,

I will be staying in Cusco for 4 nights and will hope to visit Machu Picchu but i can only book my tickets 2 weeks before i travel so i am wondering is there sufficient time for me to book the train from Cusco to Machu Picchu ?

Joseph Ng

more
    • arriving in cusco

by ferretfriend Online Now Mar 22, 2014 at 6:20 PM

I am heading to Cusco this April 11-28th. I was told to head straight to Sacred Valley after arriving into Cusco to help avoid altitude sickness I arrive at approx. 10:30am on Saturday and need to return to Cusco sometime Sunday afternoon. Is it worth spending the travel time? I will be doing volunteer work during the work, but have weekends off. Must go to Machu Picchu, do I need to purchase entrance/ train tickets this far in advance. I'll have a couple of weekends free which is when I plan to go to Machu Picchu and probably the Sacred Valley. Do you think I need to book entrance and train tickets in advance or can I organize it when I get to Cusco? Ideally would prefer to wait till I get there in case I want to change things around. Thanks!

more
    • stamporama's Profile Photo

Questions, questions....

by stamporama Online Now Mar 28, 2014 at 2:40 AM

1) Which gives a better exchange rate in Cusco, banks or money changers?
      2) What are the areas is Cusco that tourists should stay clear of?
      3) If we need to catch the 11 am train from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes, what time should we leave Cusco if we take a cab? How much is the current taxi fare between Cusco and Ollantaytambo, one-way? Or is there an alternative to a taxi, like maybe an express bus (same route)?
      4) I understand that food cannot be brought inside Machu Picchu but what about water? Could someone verify that it is allowed provided that it's in refillable containers but not in plastic disposable bottles?
      5) Finally, is it possible for Machu Picchu visitors to enter the Inca Trail in the reverse direction in order to view Winay Wayna? If yes, how much is the cost if any and is a guide still required for this?

Thanks for any responses!

1 Answer Mar 28, 2014 at 3:40 PM
    • JosephW10's Profile Photo

Travelling to Machu Picchu from 2th May to 6th May (4 nights)

by JosephW10 Online Now Mar 25, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Hi everyone,

I will be staying in Cusco for 4 nights and will hope to visit Machu Picchu but i can only book my tickets 2 weeks before i travel so i am wondering is there sufficient time for me to book the train from Cusco to Machu Picchu ?

Joseph Ng

3 Answers Mar 30, 2014 at 2:09 PM
    • fast early morning/midday/evening buses Cusco/puno

by viajewel Online Now Mar 23, 2014 at 6:50 PM

We have found some buses that do Cusco to Puno arriving at 2 pm earliest. Are there any that arrive earlier in the day? We don't really care what sort of bus so long as its cheap and fast. (Local bus...?)

And wed also like to find a bus from Puno to Cusco that leaves in the afternoon, so arriving around 9 or 10. Just as long as this one doesnt leave in the morning and doesn't drive during the sleepiest hours, we want it.

Why do the bus companies only have early morning or overnight service?

1 Answer Mar 27, 2014 at 10:30 AM
    • arriving in cusco

by ferretfriend Online Now Mar 22, 2014 at 6:20 PM

I am heading to Cusco this April 11-28th. I was told to head straight to Sacred Valley after arriving into Cusco to help avoid altitude sickness I arrive at approx. 10:30am on Saturday and need to return to Cusco sometime Sunday afternoon. Is it worth spending the travel time? I will be doing volunteer work during the work, but have weekends off. Must go to Machu Picchu, do I need to purchase entrance/ train tickets this far in advance. I'll have a couple of weekends free which is when I plan to go to Machu Picchu and probably the Sacred Valley. Do you think I need to book entrance and train tickets in advance or can I organize it when I get to Cusco? Ideally would prefer to wait till I get there in case I want to change things around. Thanks!

4 Answers Mar 24, 2014 at 5:08 AM
    • What is better - 2 or 4 days Inka Trail?

by gagaga Online Now Feb 14, 2014 at 6:08 AM

1. Has anyone done 2 and 4 days Inka Trail to compare what is better to do.
      2. Also concerning tickets, is it true one should book 6 months tickets in advance for it? If so, where. Is it possible to book the tickets on spot?
      3. What one has to have for the trekking - is a tent, food, tickets to ruins, water, guide... included in price?
      Thanks sooooo much in advance!! :))

5 Answers Mar 13, 2014 at 11:47 AM
    • lmosch's Profile Photo

Trip planning

by lmosch Online Now Jan 29, 2014 at 12:48 PM

A group of us is planning a trip to Peru in July. We are 10 people. I'm concerned about ground transportation for this many people and thought the hotels that we go with could arrange our day trips? Or maybe I should check out local guides for hire before we arrive? Anyone have any thoughts? Our plan is Lima-Colca Canyon-Arequipa-Cusco-sacred valley-machu picchu-Puno-Lima.
      Appreciate any suggestions.

14 Answers Feb 11, 2014 at 9:06 AM
    • 2007Liekens77's Profile Photo

corpus cristi 2014

by 2007Liekens77 Online Now Nov 10, 2013 at 1:56 AM

Does anybody know for sure when corpus cristi is celebrated in Cusco in 2014? On the internet we read 19 or 6 june. We want to see this celebration and plan our trip around it so that is why it is important to know exactly when it is.

Thanks.

3 Answers Nov 10, 2013 at 4:25 AM
    • Bugs in Jan/February?

by lizzieanddoug Online Now Oct 29, 2013 at 1:42 PM

do we need bug repellant in Cusco in January or Mancora in early February?

2 Answers Oct 29, 2013 at 2:37 PM
    • Volunteering in conservation

by andrewstritton Online Now Oct 2, 2013 at 12:07 PM

can i get cheaper volunteer work in rainforest conservation in cusco when i get there, instead of booking before i go

1 Answer Oct 3, 2013 at 3:25 PM
    • looking for a friend, taxi driver

by travelguru157 Online Now Sep 20, 2013 at 12:19 AM

can someone tell me if william santander is on email or facebook, l want to send some photos and a promised gift

geoff wilde
      fossil8853@gmail.com

• Is it better to book a tour in Peru or should I do it in advance?

by Gaby12 Online Now Sep 19, 2013 at 2:22 AM

Hello Travel Experts!

We are planning to go to Lima in the beggining of April for approx. 2 weeks.
      We want to see: Lima, Puno, Lake Titicaca, Uros, sandboarding in the dunes of H., Nazca, Ballestas Islands,Arequipa, Colca Canyon,Cusco, Machu Pichu.

We are on budget , so my question is is it cheaper to pay tours in Peru, for example in LIma? Or can you do it on your own by bus, train, plane..? Or should I book online- if so can you tell me some really good price Peru offers?
      Is it better the book the whole tour or cheaper to book one by one when you get to the place?

Also, how do you suggest to go from Puno back to Lima?And how can I get from Puno /Cusco to Iguazu Falls?

Many many Thanks for your help!

Gaby

4 Answers Sep 30, 2013 at 2:25 PM
    • Weather at the moment.

by MarcWilson Online Now Sep 10, 2013 at 7:02 AM

I arrive in Lima on the 22nd of Sept. I go to Lima, Puerto Maldonado, Cusco, Puno. I've read about extreme weather and states of emergency recently and wonderd if any places I am visiting with be affected by this?
      Any advice on clothing to bring would also be appreciated

3 Answers Mar 13, 2014 at 10:35 AM
    • Where can I buy furniture and appliances in Cusco

by matthew2p Online Now Sep 2, 2013 at 5:37 AM

Where can I buy mattresses and appliances such as microwave oven, refrigerator, stove etc?

4 Answers Sep 2, 2013 at 2:28 PM
    • Driving from Cusco to Puno

by elkvis Online Now Aug 8, 2013 at 4:06 AM

It looks like most people take the train from Cusco to Puno. We are thinking of renting a car and driving so that we can spend more time discovering along the way. Is it safe? Are their must see places and are their places we should be careful to avoid?

9 Answers Apr 4, 2014 at 1:21 PM
    • travel

by incatrekker Online Now Jul 25, 2013 at 2:13 PM

How can you get to the Sacred Valley and how much will it cost? Also how much is the bus to Action Valley?

2 Answers Jul 26, 2013 at 10:21 AM
    • Pharmacies

by Mxtlpxtl Online Now May 18, 2013 at 8:27 AM

I have chronic back pain. Can I buy Vicodin in Cusco pharmacies ?

1 Answer May 18, 2013 at 10:35 AM
    • Help witH Peru Itinerary

by chsricha Online Now May 16, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Hello Travel Experts!

We just booked our international tickets to Peru and I need some help planning my itinerary there. We're getting into Lima on June 28th and will be headed back to the US on July 7th. Here's what I have so far:

June 29th- morning flight to Puerto Maldonado - 3 nights in Refugio Amazonas
      July 2nd - fly to Cucsco (afternoon flight) - 2 nights in Cusco (tues, wed nights)
      July 4th (thu) - stay in olly (SV sights, Pisac)
      July 5th (Fri) - early morning train to MP, spend day in MP, stay in Aguas calientes - Friday night
      July 6th (Sat) - train back to Cusco. Spend last day and night relaxing in Cusco
      July 7th (Sun) - early morning flight to Lima, intl flight back to US at 2:15 in the afternoon.

Couple of questions regarding this itinerary:
      1. Does it make sense to spend 3 nights in PEM, or should I make it 2 nights and spend 1 extra day in the Cusco region?
      2. With my current itinerary - I have 3 nights for Cusco - is that too much? Should I instead head back to Lima on July 6th Saturday and spend the day and night in Lima?
      3. Is one night enough in Olly? I can also do 1 night in cusco, 2 nights in Olly, and then 1 night again in Cusco on the way back on Sat night?

Would love some feedback!!
      By the way, we were thinking Refugio Amazonas for the rainforest stay - anyone have any feedback on that?

Thanks!!!

5 Answers May 22, 2013 at 12:46 AM
    • Hvoya's Profile Photo

Trek to Machu Picchu in late May.

by Hvoya Online Now Apr 27, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Choosing to trek from Cuzco to MP in late May. Are there any suitable place to mount the tent and is it really prohibited to make fire on the trek?

3 Answers Apr 29, 2013 at 2:39 PM
    • water and electricity

by KansasChris Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Hello,

I will be travelling to Cusco and Machu Picchu in June--yahooo!

1. Will American style plugs work for my phone charger in Peru?
      2. I keep reading and hearing about water in Peru. I have plenty of water purification systems for backpacking--like ultraviolet light, chemical purifiers, and filters. Do I need to take some of them to Peru?
      3. My pharmacist tells me to check bottled water in Peru to make sure it was bottled in the U.S. What do you think?

Thanks.

6 Answers Apr 23, 2013 at 7:48 AM
    • lukenysen's Profile Photo

Live-in Spanish course

by lukenysen Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 11:52 AM

I'm considering travelling to Peru (probably Lima or Cusco) towards the end of the year to take a live-in Spanish course. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions of a short Spanish course (2-6 weeks) in Peru specifically designed for English speaking foreigners ?

4 Answers Mar 27, 2013 at 10:53 AM
    • Transport from Cusco to Yucay

by skwood Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 5:31 AM

I am flying into Cusco, and then going directly to Yucay in the Sacred Valley (I'll be coming back to Cusco later). Can anyone recommend how to get to Yucay? Do I need to pre-arrange a taxi, or can I just get one at the airport when I arrive?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2 Answers Mar 12, 2013 at 6:05 AM
    • hotel

by Gramsanta Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 9:18 AM

want to stay in the Plaza de Armes what hotels are right in th Plaze

4 Answers Mar 6, 2013 at 1:47 PM
    • bus travel in Peru

by hol2013 Online Now Jan 14, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Hi all, I'm travelling to Peru this time next year, we are going by bus, from Cusco to La Paz via Puno. everyone suggests that it is cheaper to purchase tickets as you go, but a requirement of a Peru Visa is that you have a ticket to prove you are leaving the country. I am wondering how to reconcile the two?
      Help on this subject would be really appreciated!

3 Answers Jan 14, 2013 at 11:34 PM
    • bus travel in Peru

by hol2013 Online Now Jan 14, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Hi all, I'm looking to go to Cusco this time next year (January 2014). Bus is how we are getting around. I have been told that for bus travel you book as you go (because it is cheaper), but on a Peru visa you need to have a ticket to prove you are leaving the country, how then do you reconcile the two?
      we are flying into Cusco and taking a bus to La Paz via Puno.

9 Answers Jan 15, 2013 at 4:27 AM
    • Jptravels4fun's Profile Photo

Anyone in Cusco between October 25-31?

by Jptravels4fun Online Now Oct 21, 2012 at 7:45 AM

I will be staying in Cusco during the above dates. I would enjoy meeting up with fellow travelers for interesting conversation over tea, coffee, and/or food

• Inca Sacred Valley or Cusco?

by MHung Online Now Oct 1, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Hi everyone,
      I'll have only 2 days staying in Cusco in October.
      I save 1 full day for Machu Picchu.
      For the last day, I intend to visit either Inca Sacred Valley or historic places in Cusco.
      What should I choose: The Valley or Cusco?
      Is it possible spending half day for Ollanteytambo and then going back for visiting Cusco in the afternoon?
      Looking forward to hearing your advices.

7 Answers Oct 5, 2012 at 11:14 AM
    • MeganW8's Profile Photo

Airport Tour Expeditions Good Idea or BAD!

by MeganW8 Online Now Jul 23, 2012 at 12:30 PM

It is a good idea to book with the tour expeditions or guides in the airport. Afterall this must be the most official tours in Cusco. I am not looking for a bargin but a fair price that will offer exactly what they are offering.

4 Answers Jul 23, 2012 at 11:09 PM
    • Hiking - Do we have to use a company or can we hike on our own

by jennilaz Online Now Jul 19, 2012 at 10:10 AM

My husband and I are planning a hiking trip to Peru mid-October for amonth.
      We are used to hiking on our own (no guides or tours). We also prefer "day-hikes". Any advice or suggestions. We thought of staying in Cusco for most of the time, and using it as a base for hikes. Is this a good location?
      I would appreciate all suggestions.

2 Answers Aug 3, 2012 at 11:07 AM
    • Where to stay

by kenandkathy Online Now Jul 5, 2012 at 4:23 PM

People have told me it is not a good idea to stay in the town because it is too noisey at night. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Also we are planning to take the train to MP should we buy tickets in Cusco or before we depart from the US? Which train would be the best to book?

4 Answers Sep 29, 2012 at 8:25 AM
    • Traveling to Peru in November

by kenandkathy Online Now Jul 5, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Is there a train from Lima to Cuzco?

3 Answers Aug 3, 2012 at 11:42 AM