Cumbria Travel Answers

change location

Travel plans - Cumbria - Northumberland - Eden Valley - Lakes - Hadrians Wall

by damian.amanda Online Now Jul 5, 2008 at 9:48 PM

In mid October 08, after a stay in the Highlands my wife and I are considering train to Carlisle and hiring a car. We are visiting the south of the Eden Valley - Appleby, Long Marton, Dufton - where my family originally farmed (from at least 17th Cent) before settling in Oz in 1850s. We also want to see the Lakes District and spend a few days visiting Roman sites along the Wall. We expect to have 4 full days and 2 part days before train to Bath.

We are considering using a central base (hotel or B & B) and driving out to accomplish our travel interests. Being a bit of a horse lover, my wife wants to go riding on the Fells.

We think these ideas are achievable given the distances involved - or lack of them. It all seems so small and compact compared to travelling in Oz.

We would be grateful for any comments, criticisms or tips about the above; recommendations about accomodation; must-see places in the Lakes area; must see places along the Wall - Vindolanda and Cawfields seem to me to be definites.

many thanks

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • cubsur's Profile Photo

Re: Travel plans - Cumbria - Northumberland - Eden Valley - Lakes - Hadrians Wall

by cubsur Online Now Jul 8, 2008 at 11:15 AM

Yes you must go to Vindolanda - it is many years since I last visited and I must go again. It was absolutely fascinating. Birdoswald is nearby and well worth a couple of hours.

For Hadrians Wall and the surrounding area the distances are such that a central base in one of the market towns puts everywhere within rather less than an hour's drive. I am thinking of Hexham, Haltwhistle, somewhere like that. I don't know anywhere B&B or hotel as I was working in Newcastle and took advantage of a couple of days off!

The town of Penrith is well placed for the Lake District and just about everywhere else.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines