Cumbria Travel Answers

change location
MamguIz&Will's Profile Photo

Coast to coast bike ride (Cumbria toTyne & Wear)

by MamguIz&Will Online Now Sep 30, 2006 at 6:57 AM

My husband has decided to do the Coast to coast bike ride next May. He's 56 years old and reasonably fit. He has a new 'retro' type bike (not a mountain bike). He would like to receive any info from anyone who has done it, especially suggestions as to how far he could expect to go in one day, (at a leisurely pace) and recommended places to stay. He was thinking in terms of 20 - 25 miles miles a day is this reasonable?

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • RE: Coast to coast bike ride (Cumbria toTyne & Wear)

by Dunx Online Now Oct 2, 2006 at 5:41 AM

This is quite a difficult question to provide an accurate answer to but, as a regular cyclist, I'll have a go.

First off, I'll assume that as your OH is reasonably fit but doesn't (yet) know a comfortable mileage for a day, that he doesn't currently cycle much. A key factor in comfortable cycling is, how shall I put this, how accustomed the posterior is to being on a saddle for any length of time.

Without any practice you may find that the legs, and stamina, are easily capable of 50 miles in a day but that the backside will complain loudly after only an hour. I can only suggest getting some practice in (needn't be energetic) and this will give a clearer idea of a daily mileage figure.

I would think that a comfortable and sustainable average speed on that type of bike would be around 10mph, so it then becomes a question of how long you can stay in the saddle. Two tips:
    1. Buy some undershorts with a reinforced seat, and
    2. Include some inclines in practice rides, otherwise the first you come to will wipe you out !

Hope that helps.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines