Cuba Travel Answers

change location

Charging a Kobo ereader in Varadero

by Kimbeau Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 6:55 AM

I just wondered if anyone had successfully done this without frying the device - also without using a computer (USB) port - I have only a voltage converter and plug adapter. It should work but I'm not confident.

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • tvor's Profile Photo

Re: Charging a Kobo ereader in Varadero

by tvor Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 7:03 AM

If you have a voltage converter you should be ok.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Get yourself a USB charger that plugs into an electric socket; I bought one for about $20 Cdn and can plug in two different USB cables to charge devices at the same time. These tend to be for 100V - 240V. Plug your Kobo directly into this. I seem to remember some Cuban hotels run on 110V while others are at 240V, so you should be fine.

Most devices that are battery powered use universal power supplies that work all over the world. All you have to do is ensure that you have an adaptor for the plug itself.

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Look on the charger plug. It should say something like 120-240 v. Mine says 100-240 v.
    This means all you need is a plug adapter so your charger fits the wall socket. If you don't have similar numbers, you will need a voltage converter. These are not absolutely foolproof but nearly so. We once had a converter blow a fuse and fry an electric toothbrush, but it was a very old converter and we haven't had any other problems. I strongly suspect you have a dual voltage charger and don't need to worry.

Haven't been to Cuba so can't give advice on that.

• JessieLang's Profile Photo

by JessieLang Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 9:50 AM

My chargers are dual voltage, so I just use the adaptor plug. I charge my e-reader and camera battery frequently, and I haven't fried anything yet.

• PeterPanandWendy's Profile Photo

by PeterPanandWendy Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Most hotels have both 110 and 220 sockets - you should be fine.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 29, 2013 at 7:39 AM

it depends on your Kobo, most are fitted to use the electricity. Some older hotels there still use the 110 and the new ones use the 220. You will need a socket adapter as some use pins and other three prongs.
    so it goes back to which hotel you are staying. or nearby one where you are going to use your kobo
    cheers

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Cuba Travel Answer Locations