Travel Answers
Cuba

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Living in America and travelling to Cuba with a European Passport (American work visa H1B)

by rickryoma Online Now Apr 14, 2015 at 7:38 AM

Hi there,

I’m a European, living and working in America and I’d like to visit Cuba for a vacation. I hold a European passport and have an American visa (H1B).

I'd like to visit over the summer but don't want to jeopardize my visa status.

Per my understanding it is possible for non American Citizens and non permanent residents (Green Card Holders) to visit Cuba for tourist reasons:

"The Cuban Assets Control Regulations are enforced by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) of the U.S. Department of the Treasury and affect all U.S. citizens and permanent residents wherever they are located, all people and organizations physically located in the United States, and all branches and subsidiaries of U.S. organizations throughout the world. The regulations require that persons subject to U.S. jurisdiction be licensed in order to engage in any travel-related transactions pursuant to travel to, from, and within Cuba, or that the transactions in question be exempt from licensing requirements. Transactions related to travel for tourist activities are not licensable. This restriction includes travel to Cuba for tourist activites from or through a third country, such as Mexico or Canada. U.S. law enforcement authorities enforce these regulations at U.S. airports and pre-clearance facilities in third countries. Travelers who fail to comply with Department of the Treasury regulations may face civil penalties and criminal prosecution upon return to the United States."

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with travelling to Cuba while on H1B status and if this is possible?

Thanks in advance,

Andy

more
    • Where to go in a rental car - have we missed anything that we really should see?

by Vieanna Online Now Apr 7, 2015 at 2:47 AM

We are 3 friends, all retired and used to travelling but we have never been to Cuba. We arrive in May 2015 and have 4 nights in Old Havana followed by a 4 night stay in Varadero. We will hire a car in Varadero for a 2 week trip, staying in Casa Particulares, around the island. We are thinking of travelling down the East coast and coming back along the West Coast. Our rough itinerary is like this: Santa Clara (one night), Cayo Coco (just drive to have a look and stay in *** 1 night), Camaguey (one night), Guardalavaca (or Gibara 1 night), Santiago de Cuba (3 nights), Las Tunas (one night to break the journey), Ciego de Avila (1 night to break the journey) Trinidad (3 nights, Cienfuegos (2 nights) and return the car to Havana. We then have 6 full days left to stay in Havana or somewhere else. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

more
    • Living in America and travelling to Cuba with a European Passport (American work visa H1B)

by rickryoma Online Now Apr 14, 2015 at 7:38 AM

Hi there,

I’m a European, living and working in America and I’d like to visit Cuba for a vacation. I hold a European passport and have an American visa (H1B).

I'd like to visit over the summer but don't want to jeopardize my visa status.

Per my understanding it is possible for non American Citizens and non permanent residents (Green Card Holders) to visit Cuba for tourist reasons:

"The Cuban Assets Control Regulations are enforced by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) of the U.S. Department of the Treasury and affect all U.S. citizens and permanent residents wherever they are located, all people and organizations physically located in the United States, and all branches and subsidiaries of U.S. organizations throughout the world. The regulations require that persons subject to U.S. jurisdiction be licensed in order to engage in any travel-related transactions pursuant to travel to, from, and within Cuba, or that the transactions in question be exempt from licensing requirements. Transactions related to travel for tourist activities are not licensable. This restriction includes travel to Cuba for tourist activites from or through a third country, such as Mexico or Canada. U.S. law enforcement authorities enforce these regulations at U.S. airports and pre-clearance facilities in third countries. Travelers who fail to comply with Department of the Treasury regulations may face civil penalties and criminal prosecution upon return to the United States."

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with travelling to Cuba while on H1B status and if this is possible?

Thanks in advance,

Andy

2 Answers Apr 14, 2015 at 2:26 PM
    • Where to go in a rental car - have we missed anything that we really should see?

by Vieanna Online Now Apr 7, 2015 at 2:47 AM

We are 3 friends, all retired and used to travelling but we have never been to Cuba. We arrive in May 2015 and have 4 nights in Old Havana followed by a 4 night stay in Varadero. We will hire a car in Varadero for a 2 week trip, staying in Casa Particulares, around the island. We are thinking of travelling down the East coast and coming back along the West Coast. Our rough itinerary is like this: Santa Clara (one night), Cayo Coco (just drive to have a look and stay in *** 1 night), Camaguey (one night), Guardalavaca (or Gibara 1 night), Santiago de Cuba (3 nights), Las Tunas (one night to break the journey), Ciego de Avila (1 night to break the journey) Trinidad (3 nights, Cienfuegos (2 nights) and return the car to Havana. We then have 6 full days left to stay in Havana or somewhere else. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

10 Answers Apr 8, 2015 at 2:15 AM
    • PierreM14's Profile Photo

ONLY FLIGHT

by PierreM14 Online Now Feb 19, 2015 at 5:40 AM

IF A TAKE A FLIGHT FOR CAYO-COCO IT;S POSSIBLE GOING TO THEY HOTEL FOR RENT A MOTORCYCLE FOR GOING TO CIEGO-DE-AVILA.

4 Answers Feb 19, 2015 at 1:22 PM
    • Lady_Mystique's Profile Photo

Best places to see....

by Lady_Mystique Online Now Feb 4, 2015 at 4:36 PM

Hello travel buds! I am in the early stages of planning a trip to Cuba this coming winter.
      Has anyone been there lately? And, what places do you recommend seeing?
      What activities to participate in?
      Best places for lodging? And is it OK to travel alone? I am a single female and have always wanted to travel here.

Thank you for any advice you can give! :-)

5 Answers Mar 15, 2015 at 10:35 PM
    • Snorkeling at Beach

by justjamie Online Now Jan 25, 2015 at 5:12 PM

First time to Memories Holguin Resort, Cuba, is there good snorkeling off the beach and what is Must Do when in that area of Cuba.. Thanks jamie

2 Answers Jan 26, 2015 at 11:57 AM
    • nmvaladanzouj's Profile Photo

Where are the best places to go, and the most fun things to do?

by nmvaladanzouj Online Now Jan 6, 2015 at 9:31 AM

I'm so glad the that the embargo has been lifted finally! I've always wanted to visit Cuba, and this would be the year. My boyfriend and I know next to nothing about Cuban culture, and we want to change that.

So my question is this: where are the best cities to visit, and the most meaningful experiences/things to do? We're planning a short trip of about 7-10 days there.

20 Answers Jan 26, 2015 at 11:04 AM
    • 2 weeks in cuba

by tututravel Online Now Dec 26, 2014 at 10:41 PM

Hello!
      Im planning on going to cuba with 2 other friends during the last 2 weeks of January.
      We would like to spend most of our time exploring and learning about Cuban culture and the last few days just relaxing by the beach. A fun and relaxing getaway before returning to our regular stressful 12 hour
      shifts as nurses.
      I would like suggestions on:
      - which cities to visit (havana and Trinidad are a must)
      - where should we settledown to relax by the beach
      - would like to try horseback rifing

6 Answers Jan 15, 2015 at 1:39 PM
    • philippg's Profile Photo

Backpacking Cuba

by philippg Online Now Nov 12, 2014 at 6:19 AM

Hey, we are two students and we will travel to Cuba in March 2015. We will travel with our backpacks and now we wanna know, if you have some insider tips and must-sees!?! How can we travel around? Is it possible to travel with local/touristic busses/trains? Maybe you can tell us your favorite travel routes. We stay in Cuba for 16 days. Where can we stay in Cuba, are there backpacker-hostels and how is your experience with Casa particulars? Maybe you can tell us your favorite beach to stay/most beautiful beach. We are happy for every information. :) Thank you, Philipp and Anna.

7 Answers Jan 13, 2015 at 2:49 PM
    • Bayamo or Manzanilla?

by Northernbird00 Online Now Oct 29, 2014 at 5:39 AM

Hi
      I am travelling from Santa Lucia to Santiago. I want to go to Sierra Maestra on the way. Would you recommend staying the night before in MAnzanilla or Bayamo?How long does the trip take (approx.) and how long would it take to then drive back to Santiago? Which route would be best?

Kind Regards

6 Answers Nov 1, 2014 at 4:36 AM
    • jpianosi's Profile Photo

Touring Havana

by jpianosi Online Now Oct 20, 2014 at 9:56 AM

Hi everyone! My wife and I will be in Varadero Dec 15-20, and plan to spend one day in Havana. I heard there is a big religious event on Dec 17th. Is that a bad day to travel? If so, what day is best to spend a walking day in Habana vieja?
      Also, can anyone recommend a nice small "mom and pop" type place to have a local meal while in Havana?

12 Answers Jan 14, 2015 at 10:19 AM
    • elsadran's Profile Photo

cheap accommodation?

by elsadran Online Now Oct 10, 2014 at 2:33 AM

Is there any chance for cheap accommodation in Cuba. you know...backpacking prices... Maybe in private houses?

12 Answers Oct 10, 2014 at 11:44 PM
    • MuratU's Profile Photo

10 days in Cuba

by MuratU Online Now Sep 17, 2014 at 9:53 AM

Hola!

We are a group of 6 people, traveling to Cuba at the end of October. One of us had already been to Cuba and he suggested we should split our journey as follows;

3 nights in Habana, 1 night in Cienfuegos, 2 nights in Trinidad, 2 nights in St. Clara

What do you think about this arrangement? We're planning to hire two cars with personal drivers or a big van with a driver. We basically like to sqeeze in as much as we can without getting exhausted. We're interested in partying, hitting the beaches and also getting to know authentic Cuba (we left out Varadero!) while interacting with the locals. Unfortunately, none of us can speak Spanish so we're relying heavily on our private guide for that.

We'd also like to rent a boat for deep sea fishing while in Habana and possibly take a catamaran cruise from playa Ancon beach Cayo Blanco island? is it feasible?

Your ideas&suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Gracias

5 Answers Jan 16, 2015 at 1:40 AM
    • Cuba - safe to travel? locations? tour guides?

by slickbob14 Online Now Sep 12, 2014 at 2:14 AM

Hello travelers

I am pondering with the idea of taking my family (with 2 kids below age 10) to Cuba. My wife and I had always been interested in travel to Cuba when we were without kids, but back then US travelers were not allowed to visit the country. I know for the past couple of years the borders have opened up but I've read a jumble of things about Cuba travel and I was wondering if anyone here has experience they could share with us to help us out.

We're interested in knowing first and foremost the safety part - is it safe to go, especially as a young family? Secondly, Havana is a must but are there any little known excursions beyond the city that would be a must see? I am an amateur photographer and want to get literally thousands of photos, the more unique off-path places would be good to know.

I've also read that cuba tours to US travelers can only be done by certain tour companies? Can anyone suggest a solid travel agent that offers cuba deals? Any other advice on tours to Cuba would be really welcome.

28 Answers Oct 11, 2014 at 4:15 PM
    • PeterPanandWendy's Profile Photo

Email on Androids

by PeterPanandWendy Online Now Aug 16, 2014 at 8:13 AM

I understand that Cubans with iPhone Androids have recently been able to access email accounts from the phones (avoiding the line ups at the internet cafes). I am technologically challenged and don't even know what questions to ask, but here goes - is this true? If so, what type of cell phones would be good to take down as gifts for my Cuban friends - please be as specific as possible so I can be sure to take the right ones...

4 Answers Oct 10, 2014 at 4:43 AM
    • Cuba in April

by ColmBradley Online Now Aug 16, 2014 at 3:24 AM

Hi. We are traveling to Cuba at the beginning of next April. We will be based in Havana for 5 days and doing an organised tour for 8 days. What is the weather like at this time of year? Thanks

3 Answers Aug 16, 2014 at 8:56 AM
    • Natalllya's Profile Photo

Visa for Cuba

by Natalllya Online Now Jun 28, 2014 at 10:59 AM

Which nationalities need a visa for Cuba?

4 Answers Aug 16, 2014 at 7:33 AM
    • abs87's Profile Photo

Flights to Cuba

by abs87 Online Now Jun 17, 2014 at 6:17 PM

Hi everyone just looking for some advice on the most affordable way to access Cuba by air? I am flexible in terms of departure port although I have been planning to leave from Jamaica, (can depart canada or USA aswell) would also be interested to know if there are passenger boats or ships that travel around that area as an alternative, looking at the first two weeks of January 2015.
      Thanks in advance !

5 Answers Jul 11, 2014 at 3:18 AM
    • ateach52's Profile Photo

Havana to the East: itinerary help

by ateach52 Online Now Jun 11, 2014 at 7:10 AM

Hi, We were in Western Cuba and down south to Trinidad and Cienfuegos 8 years ago. Going back in October for two weeks, this time hoping to go eastwards. We're two couples in our sixties. I'd really appreciate some help on the following from anyone who's done this.
      1) Any itinerary tips (i.e. which towns / villages to stay at, which definitely shouldn't be missed, any driving times etc.)
      2) A reliable car rental company in Havana where we can rent a car for about 10 days to be dropped off in Santiago or wherever we can catch a plane back to Havana from. We'd need a fairly sizable one since there are 4 of us, and we'll have some scuba equipment with us too)
      3) As for accommodation, any tips on Casa particulares. The last time we were in Cuba we loved this option - much better than the government-run hotels, we thought! Same goes for the 'private' restaurants. Do they still exist? I do speak fairly passable Spanish, so no problem if people don't speak English
      4) Any nice beach areas to be recommended for a day or two near the end of our trip where we can snorkel & scuba dive? Looking for paradise …. :)

Thanks so much to anyone who's willing to take the time to give me some feedback. Greatly appreciated!

2 Answers Jun 12, 2014 at 4:03 AM
    • Drayman151's Profile Photo

Weather in Cuba

by Drayman151 Online Now Mar 23, 2014 at 2:30 PM

Hi
      Anyone been to Cuba in June if so your advice on the weather please and what we could expect , thanks

3 Answers Mar 25, 2014 at 10:46 AM
    • Drayman151's Profile Photo

Weather in Cuba

by Drayman151 Online Now Mar 23, 2014 at 2:30 PM

Hi
      Anyone been to Cuba in June if so your advice on the weather please and what we could expect , thanks

1 Answer Mar 25, 2014 at 10:45 AM
    • paulinuk2u's Profile Photo

cuba to usa or usa to cuba

by paulinuk2u Online Now Feb 26, 2014 at 10:18 AM

can you travel to usa from cuba or usa to cuba.or is it still the same,not allowed

9 Answers Mar 5, 2014 at 6:44 AM
    • Martita.B's Profile Photo

How to get from Morón to Cayo Coco?

by Martita.B Online Now Feb 7, 2014 at 3:06 PM

Hi, does anybody know how to get from Morón to Cayo Coco? I didn't find any car rentals in Morón or bus services. Is it possible to hire someone to take us there? And how to come back from the island if we don't have a car? We would like to go there at February 18. Thanks for any tips!

Marta

4 Answers Feb 8, 2014 at 2:45 PM
    • Nemoloso's Profile Photo

Child bicycle seat

by Nemoloso Online Now Jan 20, 2014 at 11:33 PM

Hi. Does anybody know if it's possible to rend a child bicycle seat? I'm planning my travel to Cuba with my husband and my 1 year son. I'd like to visit Vinar by bycle but I'm wondering if it could be feasible. thanks for your help.

3 Answers Jan 29, 2014 at 3:02 PM
    • GroundhogDave's Profile Photo

Vintage taxi fares for long distances

by GroundhogDave Online Now Jan 9, 2014 at 2:04 PM

I'm looking for some information on the prices of hiring vintage American taxis (maquinas/yank tanks) to go from city to city across Cuba. Can anyone give me examples of fares they have paid for taking trips greater than 100km?

I know this isn't the cheapest or most effective way of travelling across Cuba. I know buses and trains are cheaper, but this is for a specific project, so I'm not interested in travelling by bus or train or renting a late model Asian/Euro rental car.

I'm not expecting AC, a comfortable ride or a reliable vehicle. I'm a vintage car enthusiast and while the cars I drive look great, they are unreliable headaches that cause me great amounts of stress. So I definitely know what I am getting myself into :)

Thanks for your help!

6 Answers Jan 13, 2014 at 10:15 PM
    • Booking a hotel in Cuba

by selina22 Online Now Dec 5, 2013 at 12:40 PM

When already in Cuba having a room for whole stay, I would like to know if it is possible to call and book an other room for one night stay in another city (and is it maybe the most expensive way comparing to advance booking)? We would not like to do that beforehand, not knowing when making those trips.... I have understood by internet it is impossible while alreaydy in Cuba?

5 Answers Jan 10, 2014 at 2:14 PM
    • travellingtechie's Profile Photo

Short trip with 1 year old to Cuba

by travellingtechie Online Now Dec 2, 2013 at 8:34 AM

Hi Everyone

My wife and I are planning a short trip with our 1 year old son to Cuba. Could you please advise of any nice places to go and relax? We are not looking for over the top adventures and just to get away from the Canadian winter and relax in the sun for a bit.

Thanks in advance, and wishing everyone a great holiday season!

TT!

6 Answers Feb 20, 2014 at 11:01 AM
    • Ideal city in Cuba

by paola72_ Online Now Nov 11, 2013 at 7:27 AM

Hi!

I want travel to Cuba, but i don´t know wich city to go. I need an advice, which is the best city in Cuba to rest? How many cost?. I would rather should´t be very expensive.

Thanks for your answers!!!

6 Answers Feb 9, 2014 at 1:12 AM
    • snorkelling

by senorarita Online Now Nov 9, 2013 at 6:40 PM

I will be staying at Sol Pelicano , Cayo Largo del sur, for 2 weeks in January, wondering if there is any snorkelling off the beach. Is it possible to snorkel at Playa Sirena?

1 Answer Feb 9, 2014 at 1:12 AM
    • Curious where to stay?

by ahlavache Online Now Oct 26, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Looking for a place to go for a week, we are planning to leave Dec 28, were looking for somewhere with a good night life, lots of day activities and shopping. But something not to touristy.

5 Answers Oct 28, 2013 at 2:26 PM
    • Which resort

by kjmallen Online Now Oct 20, 2013 at 5:45 AM

I am going to cuba fo the 1st time and cannot make my mind up between staying at Guardalavaca or Cayos coyo?

2 Answers Oct 20, 2013 at 1:04 PM